Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Polo Crest
  • In the spirit of football teams and eh, other polo teams. I think it would be sweet to have a Glasgow specific crest, kinda like they have have on the amsterdam forum, also rockin rolla had one on thier tshirts and a few other teams. The polo/fixed gear imagery is easy enough but anyone got any ideas on glasgow imagery?

This could be used for the polo blog, embroidered patches etc, it shouldn't be team specific but adaptable to include team specific stuff. I'll try and knock something up when we get some ideas going sometimes I come up with alright stuff and other's I am pish so shall see how it goes.... Others very welcome to try!

• A latin scroll at the bottom would be good "Adepto is vox sursum vos".
  • can i just throw my weight behind whatever ends up being done having absolutely no frickin Buckfast connotations?!
    seems that as soon as someone mentions any kind of Glasgow crest it immediately becomes a good idea to rip the bucky label!
    personally i think its a retarded sub culture and completely un-original!!!!!!!
    but alas i have yet to try the polo so shall just sit here quietly in the corner with my sketchbook
    thankyou
  • I'm sure it won't be a bucky crest...

Like the Berlin idea.
  • what about some classic glasgow imagery? just a quick hack together. could have a scroll underneath with "let polo flourish" haha.

• I'll give it a shot, I might come up with something..

So when are we ordering these patches ? Haha..
  • let polo flourish is a good motto
  • [quote]
    rabsda:
    let polo flourish is a good motto
    That'd be my vote for an English motto. I quite like the idea of a Latin one though.
  • I ran let polo flourish through a Latin translator "permissum polo niteo".
  • latin mottos es purgamentum
  • Vos sermo purgamentum.
  • Loving the bent to fuck wheel idea. Mottos in general are a bit naff ain't they? What does the classic Glasgow imagery mean? Could maybe incorporate part of it if it's somehow relevant.

• So no dragon wings then ?
  • Maybe, you're the art student!
  • I don't know man, I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas..
  • [quote]
    lee(charge):
    absolutely no frickin Buckfast connotations?!
    seems that as soon as someone mentions any kind of Glasgow crest it immediately becomes a good idea to rip the bucky label!
    personally i think its a retarded sub culture and completely un-original!!!!!!!

+1
  • [quote]
    islipaway:
    Loving the bent to fuck wheel idea. Mottos in general are a bit naff ain't they? What does the classic Glasgow imagery mean? Could maybe incorporate part of it if it's somehow relevant.

the Glasgow imagery is just the usual stuff from the crest of Glasgow, its to do with St Mungo and 4 miracles he performed or something. You can see it about Glasgow on various things, and I think Glasgow Uni's crest incorporates those elements as well. It's about all I could come up with for a link to Glasgow.
  • The university crest came before the city crest btw
  • [quote]
    rabsda:
    The university crest came before the city crest btw
    I'd never heard that before. What are the respective dates?
  • 1866 is the year the city's coat of arms was granted, the university was founded back in 1451 and by 1563 had its own land on the high street. I can't find anywhere that gives the exact date the university crest was matriculated on but I remember researching this in the university archives a while ago and they had the crest well before they moved to Gilmorehill which was in 1871
  • the tree that never grew, the bell that never rang, the fish that never swam, the bird that never sang, the brakes that never worked, i think some have a bishop or something that never touched kids allegedly?
  • [quote]
    lee(charge):
    i think some have a bishop or something that never touched kids allegedly?
    Classic!

Right, so got the dragon wings down...
  • dragons not welsh?
  • They look a bit like Batfink's wings.
  • Don't worry about the Welsh, looks good james..keep it coming !
  • I like the wings. Now you just need to fill the middle. You said you'd want it convertible for teams to use of they wanted. How about having teams change the middle to what they want and keeping the outer bit. Gives a bit of brand recognition.
  • imageEdit:imageimage

Thinking a Glasgow skyline in black along the bottom much the same as a the Berlin one, by skyline I mean SECC, Crane, etc. Any better ideas?

Edit...getting there...
  • Think that looks good.
  • How about thistles instead of wings..?
  • [quote]
    Smout:
    How about thistles instead of wings..?

+1 the wings have no relation to glasgow or polo what so ever.
  • aye but they are rock n roll, thistles are lame. Shortbread tin scotland just aint polo. Lots of crests have normal wings so dragon/batfink/whatever is a bit differnt?
  • Fair enough... Saw this t a while back... Swap the sabres for mallets... Make it a more obvious wheel in the middle... Bit of latin...
  • Guys, dragon wings represent awesomeness...maybe you just don't get it. hah. but all of the stuff posted has been pretty good so far. keep it coming.
  • Ooops sorry bout all that white space.
  • Nowt wrong with wings, or wreaths, or wheels for that matter IMHO only of course......

• Nice work fella...
  • Yeah. pretty sweet John.stone. + 1 very nice...maybe some holes in the mallet head but it's near perfect. Maybe we later on we can all make a poll for all of the designs or something..
  • haha, john stones one looks well nazi. but its prob the best so far.

ps. i'm not condoning nazi behaviour.
  • Yeah. I like it
  • Thanks for the comments, it was only a first stab at something, it's easy enough to change or amend it.
  • keep stabbing..
  • [quote]
    gedi:
    keep stabbing..

is that to be included in the logo?
  • I like that last one - I'd maybe change the wheel for a cog (or a lockring to be less obvious) but I have no skillzzz. :(
  • Yeah that's pretty awesome, only I'd personally make the wheel with proper spoke pattern and some missing spokes, maybe replace the wreath with a chain and make the mallets look more like actual bike polo mallets but you clearly know what you're doing with illustrator better than me!
  • Right pretty much going to call this done for my attempt. Might try a coloured variant.
  • Right I'm thinking about this thing again, trying to come up with something poloish but that says Glasgow more without being overly cheesy. So far All I can come up with is using the Barrowlands font, it's pretty synonymous with Glasgow without being a fish a tree a bird and a bell, which just don't seem to tie into anything. What represents Glasgow well? Also the fact the smiles better guy resembles a polo ball so well has to be explored at some point...
  • Some sort of incorporation of the finnestone crane? Quite iconic to glasgow. Or the science centre tower, any interesting skyline thingy.