Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Whats On Your Stereo?
  • ...a music related thread to find out what gets ss/fg riders boogie-ing/chilling..
  • Currently listening to internet radio.. Drum and Bass...BassJunkies...click to listen......Easy now!
  • Today so far it's been Holy Fuck, Dan Deacon, Bon Iver and Bonnie Prince Billy.
  • Been listening to The Stranglers, Born Ruffians and Band of Horses so far.
    Not much work getting done!
  • Today my random shuffle was class. On the way back from town there: Dead Kennedy's California Uber Alles, Ratatat's 17 years, followed by some (Smog), rounded off with the unstoppable combination of Dead Pres's Hell Ya (Pistol Pete Remix and McCluskey's Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues :)

There's nothing like hitting the right road/sunshine/song combination.
  • Van Halen and White Snake
  • [quote]
    plurabelle:
    Ratatat's 17 years
    Love it.
  • Yes - Close to the Edge
  • I'm onto CAN now. Ping-Pong must be one of the strangest songs ever!
  • Alex Romano - Get Down (Rock It Up) (Bass Klep Mix)

listen
  • I'm thinking of going to see these guys on Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmKVMMy4CGE
  • [quote]
    Johnny Crash:
    I'm thinking of going to see these guys on Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmKVMMy4CGE

i cant remember anything about these guys from Noo years optimo. then i also remember very little about the whole night as i was wrecked and spent most of it outside smoking.....or talking shite to folk.
  • [quote]
    conn artist:

i cant remember anything about these guys from Noo years optimo. then i also remember very little about the whole night as i was wrecked and spent most of it outside smoking.....or talking shite to folk.

They were awesome! I was pretty wrecked too of course.
  • on my ipod i mostly listen to mixes by mstrkrft or similar-

http://www.newmixes.com/mstrkrft-essential_mix-sat-05-24-2008.html

http://www.newmixes.com/digitalism_and_diplo_and_mstrkrft-jjj_mixup_new_year_special-sat-01-01-2008.html

all downloadable thro mozilla not shitty IE.

or RATM - RATM. been listeing to that for almost 17 years now. still the best album i have ever bought.

or some other DJ's called zombie disco squad -

http://www.zombiediscosquad.com/mixtapes.htm

right click the box to download.
  • This is so good in so many ways:

[NB. no need for img tags for youtube videos, just post the link bare and the forum does the embedding... - krakow]
  • [quote]
    Johnny Crash:
    I'm thinking of going to see these guys on Friday
    So you're in Manchester on Friday then? That's boring. I thought you'd be in some ocean somewhere on a boat.
  • [quote]
    rusty:
    [quote]
    Johnny Crash:
    I'm thinking of going to see these guys on Friday
    So you're in Manchester on Friday then? That's boring. I thought you'd be in some ocean somewhere on a boat.

Yeah, I know. The ship I'm on is undergoing some major conversion and re-fitting work in......exotic......Birkenhead. It should have been Italy but the pound got recessioned and it became too expensive.

Next time, I should be going somewhere a bit more exciting though. On the positive side, I'm going to see Den Haan on Friday and Bob Dylan next week.
  • John Dahlbäck - Hustle Up
  • [quote]
    conn artist:
    on my ipod i mostly listen to mixes by mstrkrft or similar-

http://www.newmixes.com/mstrkrft-essential_mix-sat-05-24-2008.html

http://www.newmixes.com/digitalism_and_diplo_and_mstrkrft-jjj_mixup_new_year_special-sat-01-01-2008.html

all downloadable thro mozilla not shitty IE.

or RATM - RATM. been listeing to that for almost 17 years now. still the best album i have ever bought.

or some other DJ's called zombie disco squad -

http://www.zombiediscosquad.com/mixtapes.htm

right click the box to download.

Cheers for those MSTRKRFT mixes, hadn't heard em. Pretty sweet :)
  • MSTRKFT playin the ABC on sunday the 3rd of may. my postponed 30th bday night out, yassss

the DIPLO one is good aswell. digitalism one is pretty gash.
  • This morning...

Alistair Crosbie - Seven Starlings More (a real life Cassette)
    Guanoman - Total Disintegration Therapy
    Bardo Pond live @ The Khyber, Philadelphia
  • Well I don't recognise most of the above names!!!!
    I am a complete metalhead, love everything metal, punk, hardcore etc, everything from the RHCP(funk/rock) to Deicide(Death metal) and beyond.
  • Ratatat's 17 years
    good song
  • [quote]
    conn artist:
    MSTRKFT playin the ABC on sunday the 3rd of may. my postponed 30th bday night out, yassss

cheers conn artist, i'd seen a flyer for that somewhere and instantly forgotten. missed em when they were at the arches a while back, so need to get to this!
  • Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians
    American minimalist composer — If you like any modern dance/electronic music, you need to know Reich. Just beginning to realise his influence.
    Can be found on spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/4DNtf9qJFFeCaWJPmQkvsK
  • So some Subcity folk I know have been playin basketball for the past couple of weeks with a big boombox blasting out various tunes. I thought I'd make a proper mixtape for them, so I got some blank C60 cassettes and a stack of hip hop 12s and hit play and record. Here's what happened...

Download MP3

Side one
    Chic - Good Times
    Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
    Melle Mel & Grandmaster Flash - White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)
    Blondie - Rapture
    KRS-One - Step into a World (Rapture's Delight)
    K7 - Come Baby Come
    Skee Lo - I Wish
    PM Dawn - Set Adrift on Memory's Bliss
    A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It?
    Jurassic 5 - Jayou

Side Two
    Blacksheep - The Choice Is Yours
    The Pharcyde - Drop
    Main Source - Looking at the Front Door
    Main Source - Fakin' The Funk
    A Tribe Called Quest - Award Tour
    Charizma & Peanut butter wolf - Devotion
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)
    De La Soul - Me Myself & I
    Jungle Brothers - Doin' Our Own Dang
    De La Soul - A Roller Skating Jam Named 'Saturdays'
  • That's a pretty cool idea.
  • ^DFA 1979's loss is MSTRKRFT's gain....
  • me listen to mister Iggy Pop and the Cramps all afternoon-now onto Bob Dylan as I have a ticket to see the man himself next Sat-just hope he's not as pish live as everyone has taken pleasure in telling me... he'd still be a legend tho.
  • Dan Sartain, The Whitest Boy Alive, Mice Parade, The Knife and Green Velvet. Oh and a bit of Bon Iver.
  • Just been listening to a bit of Cramps myself never seems to age. RIP Lux
  • [quote]
    velonoir:
    Dan Sartain, The Whitest Boy Alive, Mice Parade, The Knife and Green Velvet. Oh and a bit of Bon Iver.

i went to berlin to see them a couple of years ago. one of the best gigs i have ever seen. they were on for about1.5 hours, last night of there tour, home gig at a mates club. did some nice covers of daft punk and reel 2 reel. amazin.
  • I've been listening to Thre Whitest Boy Alive's new album and it's really good. For me, they're up there with Bon Iver.

I've also got a ticket to see Bob Dylan on friday night so I have my fingers crossed. I saw him a few years ago in Osaka and he was pretty good so I expect more of the same.

Today, seeing as I'm a little hungover, I'm listening to Tom Waits' early albums.
  • [quote]
    conn artist:
    MSTRKFT playin the ABC on sunday the 3rd of may. my postponed 30th bday night out, yassss

Not such a fan of MSTRKRFT, saw them at AOP last year and wasent that impressed. they were just wasted and dicking about realy

Saw Zombie Nation 2 weekends ago at Death disco.... theres a PROPER DJ. he did the entire set without headphones and it was completely seamless!
  • [quote]
    Bank_street_baller:
    [quote]
    conn artist:

Not such a fan of MSTRKRFT, saw them at AOP last year and wasent that impressed. they were just wasted and dicking about realy

Saw Zombie Nation 2 weekends ago at Death disco.... theres a PROPER DJ. he did the entire set without headphones and it was completely seamless!

i've heard that about mstrkrft. hopefully they will not be too smashed.

zombie nation? still goin, jeez, dude brought out one of the biggest/cheeser techno tracks about 10 years ago. as for DD, crookers playing there in a fortnight. now those two guys can play records.

as for having no headphones? was he playing off a laptop? its amazin what they can do for you these days.....i dont trust dj's with laptops. saying that mstrkrft will prob be using them.
  • yes they do, and no ZN was playing a mixture of vinyl and MP3 stuff, he was also using one of the biggest midi controllers ive ever seen!
  • [quote]
    Bank_street_baller:
    yes they do, and no ZN was playing a mixture of vinyl and MP3 stuff, he was also using one of the biggest midi controllers ive ever seen!

good, stuff, i like to see a DJ handle the records, CD's even just not piss about with a laptop for an hour. good skills with no headphones like, my mate does it a bit but it takes him ages to get a few mixes down he knows will go. no way a full set could be done.

hopefully i will be able to make crookers. seen them last year at field day in london but they were not on for long enough. should be a good night.
  • Quite a lot of DJs use Albeton Live now. You set up warp markers for each track and they pretty much mix themselves. Some people think of it as a cheats way to do it but the people who use it, including Sasha, say that it allows them to be more creative and not just mix tracks but make music. I've had a play about with it and it's pretty nifty. It takes a long time to mark out a 6 minute track though. Imagine if your library of thousands of warped tracks got erased without a backup. That would send most DJs back to vinyl for good I think.
  • richie hawtin - king of ableton. fact. he pretty much pioneered it and worked with the mixer company (heath and allen or something) to make a mixer capable of his skills. guy is a legend. one of the only dj's who when using a laptop/abelton you no is actually getting something done. musically tho he has gone far too minimal for my liking over the last few years. although his dex, fx and 909 album still remains a must listen for all techno lovers.

• [quote]
    rusty:
    Quite a lot of DJs use Albeton Live now. You set up warp markers for each track and they pretty much mix themselves. Some people think of it as a cheats way to do it but the people who use it, including Sasha, say that it allows them to be more creative and not just mix tracks but make music. I've had a play about with it and it's pretty nifty. It takes a long time to mark out a 6 minute track though. Imagine if your library of thousands of warped tracks got erased without a backup. That would send most DJs back to vinyl for good I think.

I've had a couple of Ableton lessons and it's clever stuff. It does take ages to mark out tracks though.
  • [quote]
    conn artist:
    [quote]
    Bank_street_baller:
    [quote]
    conn artist:

zombie nation? still goin, jeez, dude brought out one of the biggest/cheeser techno tracks about 10 years ago. as for DD, crookers playing there in a fortnight. now those two guys can play records.

as for having no headphones? was he playing off a laptop? its amazin what they can do for you these days.....i dont trust dj's with laptops. saying that mstrkrft will prob be using them.

The fruits of Zombie nations recent efforts. also have a listen to "woth it"
  • [quote]
    Bank_street_baller:
    [quote]
    conn artist:
    [quote]
    Bank_street_baller:

The fruits of Zombie nations recent efforts. also have a listen to "woth it"

step forward the track that made him -

this is a funny track for me. reminds me so much when i used to go to a club called pure when i were a lad. but is healthy cheesy now. brings a smile to the face tho.
  • There is a trick to quickly warping tracks in Ableton.
  • [quote]
    euan:
    There is a trick to quickly warping tracks in Ableton.
    You can auto-warp and then adjust the warps but if you want to get them at exactly the right point in the wave form you have to find, zoom, adjust, un-zoom, etc, etc, etc.
  • Ive been listening to 'the good, the bad and the queen' and just got my hands on the new 'bonnie prince billy' album (apparently its not out yet)
  • [quote]
    Cuppa T:
    Ive been listening to 'the good, the bad and the queen' and just got my hands on the new 'bonnie prince billy' album (apparently its not out yet)

I'm really liking the Tortoise/Bonnie Prince Billy and Matt Sweeney/Bonnie Prince Billy albums at the moment. Both are superb.
  • the new one i got is "beware" its pretty good however i am undecided to where it lies on comparison to previous albums.
  • I keep meaning to get some Bonnie Prince Billy and Tortoise, or basically anything Will Oldham has been involved in. But when it comes to buying music I always forget.

Anyway, I'm currently listening to Loveless but might switch to something David Pajo flavored after this.