Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Dolan Preffisio frame/frameset.
  • I'm looking to start my first road bike build. I'm not on a huge budget and was thinking of starting at the aluminium end of the market.
    I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with a Dolan Preffisio frame?
  • We have ten at the velodrome.

I built a few of em but other than a few minutes on the rollers to test gears I haven't ridden them.

Pop in if you wanna see one first hand before you buy.
  • Hmmm. Cheers. I might take you up on that offer.

Anyone else had much experience with them, or Dolan in general?
  • I had a look and the mythos carbon frame with a campag veloce / Miche groupset is only 750 at the moment if its summer roads you are looking at.
  • Hmmm, that is tempting, but for some reason I'm steering away from carbon. I think alu for my first road bike would be sufficient.

Cheers for the heads up though.
  • I've ridden a dolan pre cursa which is a really nice bike. I think the Mythos might be the same as the original Planet X superlight carbon. If so, it is a very nice frame indeed. I had one and sold it to rusty of these here forums. 750 for a full build, i'd go for it although you can't fit guards and a rack whereas you can to the preffisio, if that is a concern
  • This is still going on... Now I'm thinking I want to save the weight and go for carbon.

Any good places to start, frames that people have had bad experiences with?

I quite like the look of the Ribble Pro Evo Carbon.
  • I have a number of bikes and use a Dolan Prefissio frame with Dura Ace components as my electric road / commuting bike.

Its a solid reliable performer full mudguard clearance with all the proper gear brake rack fittings and so on . The paint is thick and fairly scratch resistant, it handles well , safe and predictable at the higher speeds you get on an assisted bike. It's been used on the velodrome as a pace bike and managed that OK but is a bit short of top speed .

It's not as nice as my LOOK 586 or the Pinarello X track but overall it can be well recommended for £70 for the frame.

You can't really go wrong at that price

My sister in law got a built up one with SRAM Apex and rides with the Deeside Diva's she is very pleased with it for the money.

Good aluminium is always better than cheap carbon !

You could buy my Cannondale Six 13 bike if a 54 would fit you, it's really nice.....

Regards Allister
  • Hi Allister, cheers for the review.

It does sound like the Dolan is a good place to start then. I'm used to steel, so I'm sure the frame would be a decent upgrade.

Unfortunately, I need a 50cm or close... I'm only 5' 6" :)

Cheers,
    David