Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Polo Drills
  • I was thinking of heading to the court for a bit tommorow for some practice. As fun as it is circling the court on my own firing shots from all over the joint, it doesn't really help with anything other than how to whack a ball. Do you guys have any 'drills' that might be useful for improving my general ability to play well, stay up and not kill anyone?
  • http://www.lfgss.com/thread60474.html

tried a few, circling the ball round your front wheel while riding up and down the court is useful...
  • Cheers James.
  • Found a nice list of polo variations and drills on lgfss; http://www.lfgss.com/thread60530.html

These might be good for when not enough people can make it for a full game, or if we just fancy something different one night. I'm liking lgfss, lots of cool things to read.
  • Practice braking as hard as you can with one hand. See how quick you can do it without falling forward.

Then do it while reaching forward for the ball (not sitting on the saddle)

These will help when you are chasing the ball towards the goal, for example.
  • I've noticed myself skidding with one hand lately, that always used to scare the shit out of me...
  • Skidding and braking is fine, it's the stretching for the ball while doing it that fucks me over. You may have noticed...
  • While not exactly drills, this website is really worth checking out for insights.

http://lancasterpolo.com/

Lots of really good articles and questions about why and how people play certain ways.

Reading their articles certain made me question and change my game.
  • These are great, I feel I better understand the game (and my game) just from reading this sort of thing, I want to play more polo. Wish it could be my job :P

Please everyone look at this photo Euan
  • Yeah Euan get a better wheel cover ffs
  • I've found that swing to be much more accurate, and hope to make it my main shooting style.

Please everyone look at this photo Euan

Coming from the person who clipped my face mask yesterday...
  • unnecessary
  • Hey guys, I'm the fella that writes/edits Lancasterpolo.com - glad you like it so much, it's good to get feedback like that. Thanks again!
  • clemp3 said:

unnecessary

Me or Dan?
  • just feel that just because you wiz round so fast people seem yo get annoyed with you like an annoying bee or something. i think your game play is fine and have only ever enjoyed playing against you as its a challenge... i think there are more dangerous things like skidding, shooting as hard as you can at point blank range when it makes more sense to go for an accurate tap in shot and people not looking where they are going and crashing into you then giving you the eyes as if it was your fault.
    i agree that Dan's picture makes sense but don't understand why you get the stick...
    hence the unnecessary....
  • clemp3 said:

just feel that just because you wiz round so fast people seem yo get annoyed with you like an annoying bee or something. i think your game play is fine and have only ever enjoyed playing against you as its a challenge... i think there are more dangerous things like skidding, shooting as hard as you can at point blank range when it makes more sense to go for an accurate tap in shot and people not looking where they are going and crashing into you then giving you the eyes as if it was your fault.
    i agree that Dan's picture makes sense but don't understand why you get the stick...

Well said. I think most of us in Glasgow have a more horizontal swing than the blue line indicates. Also, I don't think that the blue line should be preferred over the red line for the sake of safety, it should be preferred if it creates better accuracy. If a swing is dangerous its because it's being taken without knowledge of who is around you. No different than any other sport, don't swing unless you know you have safe space to do so.

I've been trying to move away from big powerful shots where they aren't necessary. Working the ball closer to the goal and slotting it in is more effective as you say, and doesn't result in the ball ricocheting everywhere.

What have you got against skidding clem? As long as you aren't t-boning someone.
  • so far nothing bad has come from it but i just fear for the worst. i don't think your entirely in control of your bike during a skid and i see someone losing control and someone getting hurt but its a minor issue.
    but what if someone was pulling a really long skid and someone pedalled infront of them then there surely is nothing they can do¿¿
  • I've never pulled a skid in my life... my brakes have always been sturdy and reliable....

yes always....

;-)

mm
  • my shoe feels differently
  • I dunno, I think skiddings ok. Frustrating when Brickman does it cos he always scares the shit out of me, it he also manages to stop short of taking anyone out. There is an element of danger, but the elegant of danger is what makes bike polo fun.
    I do agree Euan is a crazy annoying bee when he gets on the court, but I also agree its great fun to play against him. Everyone has their own style and I haven't seen anyone do anything I don't like or think is too dangerous (except me flying straight into other folks bike/the fence/the ground/my own mallet)
  • Crusher said:

Hey guys, I'm the fella that writes/edits Lancasterpolo.com - glad you like it so much, it's good to get feedback like that. Thanks again!

Hey Crusher, keep writing! Thanks :D
  • clemp3 said:

just feel that just because you wiz round so fast people seem yo get annoyed with you like an annoying bee or something.

From one buzzy bee to another :p
  • Just reading one of Lancaster Polo's blog's, it's about passing and getting passes of quickly, spotting opportunities etc. Anyhoo, thought of a (possibly) good drill we could try out to improve our (my) own passing/shooting awareness.
    Set up the teams and match like any other, except you aren't allowed to shoot or pass by your own decision. Have a 7th person standing courtside who will shout either 'pass' or 'shoot' at their leisure after which you have a matter of seconds to obey.
    Number 7 should call orders (almost) at random, not just when they see a good opportunity, this would force us to learn how to pass/shoot at any moment and to pay attention to everyone on court and where they are as well as receiving passes.
    It would also make for some awesome shots/goals that wouldn't otherwise happen.

Or we could just keep playing polo like normal of course... :P
  • clemp3 said:

just feel that just because you wiz round so fast people seem yo get annoyed with you like an annoying bee or something. i think your game play is fine and have only ever enjoyed playing against you as its a challenge... i think there are more dangerous things like skidding, shooting as hard as you can at point blank range when it makes more sense to go for an accurate tap in shot and people not looking where they are going and crashing into you then giving you the eyes as if it was your fault.

Cheers clem, love playing against you too, charge like there's no tomorrow!
  • ... watch where yer going though.
  • na you should watch where your going... you seem to keep missing the polo court every wednesday and sunday....
  • No idea how frustrating it is.
  • i can only imagine
  • It's not speed that's the issue it's control. I feel like Euan will ride as fast as possible and take out anyone in his way with no regard for their safety. Your own safety is your own concern and lots of other people play fast I just feel Euan could do with increasing his awareness of surroundings? Maybe I am totally wrong and You are in complete control at all times and it's just my preconception. It was only an issue when we were playing half court and everyone was tight together, so much potential for catastrophic crashes. Basically I was scared and need to man up. Sorry.

Also Euan the thing I wanted to say to you before the BBC people turned up. I didn't mean to shout orders (yes coach) at you I was more trying to help, your play and conviction to a ball is better than mine ever will be, I was just trying to steer you towards not losing good opportunities for the team, as it seems to be the only element of your game that is lacking. ie if you miss don't just whack it away, look for a pass or take the ball back with you.
    I am as guilty as the next person of selfish or stupid plays, please call me on it, it might annoy me in the moment but in retrospect it's good to have your game critiqued.

I think the goalie shouting things out that the players might not see is a good idea and Imma keep doing it less there are massive objections.
  • mashphat said:

Just reading one of Lancaster Polo's blog's, it's about passing and getting passes of quickly, spotting opportunities etc. Anyhoo, thought of a (possibly) good drill we could try out to improve our (my) own passing/shooting awareness.
    Set up the teams and match like any other, except you aren't allowed to shoot or pass by your own decision. Have a 7th person standing courtside who will shout either 'pass' or 'shoot' at their leisure after which you have a matter of seconds to obey.
    Number 7 should call orders (almost) at random, not just when they see a good opportunity, this would force us to learn how to pass/shoot at any moment and to pay attention to everyone on court and where they are as well as receiving passes.
    It would also make for some awesome shots/goals that wouldn't otherwise happen.

Or we could just keep playing polo like normal of course... :P

I think Sunday might be a good day to try this kinda stuff? Or we could try two touches, or everyone on the team needs to touch the ball twice before you can score and it resets if the other team touch the ball? Requires less people and makes the passes more meaningful in that you are working to get them not just shooting them at random, you need to work to make spaces in the real game too, transferable skillz.
  • Yeah that sounds cool too, and more challenging. Any skill that ends with a 'z' is great, especially if its transferable!
  • mashphat said:

Frustrating when Brickman does it cos he always scares the shit out of me,

Minty might make an appeaance on sunday... we are talking 70s cop show levels of tyre squeel

more than one set of hen night knickers have turned a nasty shade of brown on ingram street
  • A quick 30 mins on the court while the Lady is at uni, discovered my backwards shot while skidding is not too shabby....next step, to try it with 5 other bikes on the court.