Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Glasgow Polo Exposure
  • I was thinking of ways we could get more exposure for the Glasgow polo scene that might help with our attempts at getting purpose built courts and other stuff in the future. Then I realised a student mag could be a good way, and I happen to know the Publications Convenor at the QMU. I could put bike polo to him and see if any of the QMunicate team fancy doing a bit on it? Probably wouldn't get out in time for the Shuffle, but it might still be worth a go.
  • Yup, thatd be great. Guardian did a piece last summer, they might fancy it again?

Even the Record, E'nin Times, STV and Reporting Scotland would all be up for popping down to do a piece I'm sure.
  • Nice, I'll get on to Tom and see what he thinks. Then imma clean my bike and repair the puncture(s?) and then maybe write something up that we can think about sending to various other publications to encourage them to take an interest in us. PLAN!
  • What you want is to write yourselves a press release then try getting the BBC, STV and Herald /Times interested.

Offer all 3 an exclusive first and with everyone else getting it 2 days later if they guarantee to run with it.
  • How does one go about writing a press release? And what happens when they all want the exclusive first?
  • Been a while since I wrote a press release. But you want to explain quickly the important bits - who, what, where, when, why.

Also, this link seems like a pretty good summary of what you don't want to do.

• Cheers Flyin Scot and Midge.

My instinct says we should save this for after christmas; more regular play and perhaps some new players from the Shuffle tourney.

I'd be surprised if they'd manage to get down in time before the tourney, and coming on the day would probably disrupt play.

Sounds like a "new year" story too, new resolutions, new hobbies, new bikes going unused in garages, new fangled sport on the streets.

Priority should be Canopy proposal (we have a matter of weeks), and making sure everything for the tourney is sorted.
  • Yeah, agreed. Thanks for the advice guys. This thread will most definitely be revived post Christmas.
  • I also have a tonne of posters; if anyone wants some to stick up in places let me know.

The only bike shops I haven't been to are Willy Bains and places on the south side, wheelcraft, and the barras bike hub (although I did post a poster through their side door; it could have landed in a puddle or anything).

Where the monkey sleeps and the climbing accademy/centre would be worth a shot. Also Unit 23 Skate Park. Student unions and gyms maybe?

I can hand a pile of posters to anyone who wants to post them somewhere, and would appreciate the help.

(The poster I designed actually looks really good printed 4 to an A4 and left as flyers too, I've been leaving them in people's spokes.
  • If you bring some tomorrow I could put them up at the Uni.
  • I can take some for College and the Climbing Centre :)
  • Sweet. Can't come to polo tomorrow night, but I will be around during the day.
  • And am meeting brickman 6-6.30.

• Yeah I'll drop some off, can do willy bains and bikelove, maybe commonwheel maryhill too?

As for exposure, I think getting old broken wheels, putting a wheelcover with our url on them and chaining them up with cheap locks in various places could be effective?

A stencil and as many signs as we can find would be a starting point...
  • islipaway said:

Yeah I'll drop some off, can do willy bains and bikelove, maybe commonwheel maryhill too?

As for exposure, I think getting old broken wheels, putting a wheelcover with our url on them and chaining them up with cheap locks in various places could be effective?

A stencil and as many signs as we can find would be a starting point...

I like that wheel idea.

Already hit up Bike Love, but forgot about Commonwheel. That's be great if you could get to Willy Bain.

I can give posters to Brickman at 6/30 tomorrow if he's ok with that, or meet anyone else then or in town during the day.
  • Wheel idea is great, saw Hanoi Bike Shop do similar by putting old bikes with ads around the city, they are of course in various states of destroyed now. At least with just a wheel not much can go wrong. I have a to let sign in. My cupboard was gonna make a wheel cover then decided I couldn't bring myself to remove brickmans artwork :P
  • Some of the pound shops have bike locks in. iirc.

In other news, a video is currently uploading to youtube and vimeo.
  • There's also Reddit. /r/Glasgow and its facebook group and /r/scotland.
  • If Brickman doesn't want to carry them I could see if I could leave them to be picked up in Rig or maybe siempre.
  • Don't do what the Hanoi Bike Shop did and put a white bike advertising at the junction where a guy died last year
  • Hopefully not a white version of the one outside their shop, that looks like it has been under an HGV.
  • I was interviewed by the Herald on Sunday last week about cycling/fixie conversions/hipster/up-cycling kinda stuff. The journalist was very keen to hear about bike polo, she hinted she'd be interested in doing feature. I sent her all the relevant links, here, Facebook page, website etc and told her to get in touch with me if she wanted to make contact.
  • Sorenzo said:

I was interviewed by the Herald on Sunday last week about cycling/fixie conversions/hipster/up-cycling kinda stuff. The journalist was very keen to hear about bike polo, she hinted she'd be interested in doing feature. I sent her all the relevant links, here, Facebook page, website etc and told her to get in touch with me if she wanted to make contact.

I knew I liked you Sorenzo.
    :x
  • Sorenzo said:

I was interviewed by the Herald on Sunday last week about cycling/fixie conversions/hipster/up-cycling kinda stuff.

Ooh, you going to be featured?
  • No polo no talk(ing to the press)
  • Yup, bit of a feature this Sunday, should be interesting.

Don't worry @islipaway, I'll pass her on to the official committee when she gets in contact.
  • Just come play...
  • i know, i really miss it, just soo fucking busy always :(
  • Approached by reporters last night...Euan almost got a job :P
  • Almost..... :(
  • A lady from BBC Alba was passing by and apprently does so every week. She pitched the idea of a piece on us to her producer who liked the idea, got james' number and hopefully going to get back to us about a filming date! :D
  • I also asked out-right for a job. To no avail :P
  • You don't ask you don't get.

That's pretty cool, looking forward to hearing what they say.
  • I'm planning on flyering next week's critical mass. There's a few in the envelope i left yesterday, but printing a few more wouldn't hurt.
  • Good shout, I won't make mass this month unfortunately :(
  • How about going to mass dressed for polo, including mallet and bike? And pin a poster to your jumper.
  • How about going to mass dressed for polo, including mallet and bike? And pin a poster to your jumper.

That's the plan. I missed last month but I believe the other guys went on polo bikes, and handed out spoke cards and flyers. Lets do the same this time.

Would it be possible to take the Mass to one of the courts for a quick knock about?
  • Ass, sorry Ally, completly forgot to come round!
    How about friday eve after work? about 6.30, will be ghost riding yet another bike back home, should be able to strap at least 2 dead wheels to it for you to place art work upon. Will have something lying around somewhere kind of thing.
  • @midge yes, last time we were in polo gear and flyered everyone. We didn't have a ball though..... as it starts in George Square and there's a lot of standing about waiting to start, it would be ideal to just start knocking about there - gives people a wee idea without trying to force a detour towards a court.
  • Although after seeing George Square last night..... the helter skelter and stuff might get in the way ?! I don't know if there's still a big clear area, or if it's all Christmasified!
  • http://www.goalhole.com/2012/11/27/city-report-sheffield-england/

Idea? Put up a city report on here? Just one more promo tool to point people towards.

We could easily set up a city report between us if anyone wants to join. A tale of two cities. Edinburgh and Glasgow + we could talk about the SHIT and the SHITE. I can't write for shit (but will if needed) and have a ton of photo's of both cities (and can get more at christmas shuffle)

also I still think a scottish forum is the way forward but that's for a different thread.
  • Good idea.

We could probably do with updating LHBP pages.

Agreed on scottish forum.
  • yeah had the city report thing sitting in my inbox for over a week :/ oops.

LHBP pages. - what's this? league of bike polo you mean?

Forum - with all the manc and newcastle interaction, as well as other northern cities getting in on the act i'm veering towards a Northern rather than Scottish one but I guess that's for debate?
  • islipaway said:

yeah had the city report thing sitting in my inbox for over a week :/ oops.

LHBP pages. - what's this? league of bike polo you mean?

Forum - with all the manc and newcastle interaction, as well as other northern cities getting in on the act i'm veering towards a Northern rather than Scottish one but I guess that's for debate?

Yeah league of bike polo I mean.

I think a Northern Forum would be good, but beyond a scottish forum, a UK one would be best (assuming it was structured in such a way that the south east didn't dominate it beyond usefulness. As it does in politics, zinger!)
    But yeah, that other thread beckons.
  • From what I've noticed, it seems Manchester and Newcastle are more in touch with us up here than their southern counterparts, and Scotland has Glasgow Edinburgh and a guy in Aberdeen (allegedly) so it would make sense to widen the net a bit.
  • Well, I think most southerners are pretty settled in the LFGSS forum, and it doesn't really interfere with other users like it might on this forum (with everything steaming on the front page).
    My thinking would behind northern is a forum were people that can actively play with each other in a 3ish hour travel zone (affordable) can talk/arrange shit. We have the makings of a northern league/tourney season already this would just help formalise stuff? Maybe manc etc wouldn't be interested anyway.

I think Pierre (Aberdeen polo chap) has moved back home, he was on the same deal as Celia is here?
  • There are already a number of global forums out there. LOBP is the worldwide one and lfgss functions as the UK forum - the londoners have a subforum for the london polo stuff.

A "northern" forum is too vague. The bigger you make it the less useful it becomes as a local polo forum. Edinburgh and Glasgow are within an hour of each other and we do regularly travel through to play with each other for throwins (or atleast have until recently). That doesn't happen with any of the other cities, outside of tournament time.

Where's that other thread gone?
  • This just arrived in the inbox of every Yelp user in Glasgow;

• awesome. good work