Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Wanted: Bolt on sprocket
  • Title keeps changing as plans change from one day to the next for this thing - I've got my hands on a set of wheels now, it seems im going down the route of a 20'' disc hub that i'll run as fixed by using a bolt on sprocket... As it's just a thrash around bike im trying to do this on the cheap so checking resources before buying new!

So all i require now before it's up and running is a bolt on sprocket, something like the following:

Not too fussed about the teeth but ideally reasonably low so that im not spinning away, anyway - if anyones got anything, let me know.

Thanks
  • The steerer on those forks won't be long enough i'd imagine. might see about the wheels though.
  • Cuppa T; I'll give you a fiver or something for the rest of the bike if you want? I'll use it for my ski-bike :)
  • I'm toying making the rear into a fixed so my current thoughts are that i might try and source a semi decent quality rim to lace to a fixed hub which i already have.... these are all plans that have just come into my head tonight as i was donated a bike that has been run over by a car. (hence why i'm after forks)

unless you want to get it and i'll buy the front wheel from you?
  • Aye I'm up for that. Name your price for wheel lol. Wont be able to pick up til sunday at earliest, but will shoot over a message.
  • Although having said that, found something else slightly more suited which I'm chasing up. Will let you know Cupa.
  • Ski-bike you say...
    Sounds like a fuckin plan!
  • Although having said that, found something else slightly more suited which I'm chasing up. Will let you know Cupa.

Yeah just let me know.

I'm after some forks just like these, anyone got some similar lying around?

• *mustn't build a fixed gear shopper with bmx tri spoke wheels*
  • if it's a raleigh twenty I t doesn't take twenty inch rims in the same size as bmx 20 inch rims, so the brakes probably won't reach.
  • you need 451 rims aka 20 x 1 and 3/8
  • Here is what i currently have of it:
    Luckily enough, the frame has track drop-outs on it. I'm just praying i can get a hold of some forks so it doesn't render the rest of the frame as useless.

The more i look around and see what people have done, the more it makes me want to spend and build it up nice.
  • I think i've got forks and a front wheel lined up now.
  • A possible change of plan though - I might go down the coaster hub route.

Does anyone on here have any recommendations of brands? It seems as if Velosteel make a decent one.

Thanks.
  • I've been running a Velosteel that I laced up to an old Mavic MA2 700C rim for the past few months. Really like it, decent braking power and you can modulate the power quite well, I had a shot of my mates Joytech coaster and it was a bit ON/OFF and I was skidding all over the shop. Maybe the Joytech's just need broken in more, I got mine in very good second hand nick.

I am also on the hunt for a 26" coaster wheel, could be a decent Christmas pressy for my girlfriend so keep me posted if you find anything going that doesn't suit.
  • I'll let you know if i find one laced to a 26''... i'm on the hunt for a 20'' so give me a shout if you hear anything!
  • Dave i have a 26inch coaster wheel.
  • Just seen this Josh. What make of hub is it, and what sort of nick is it in? If you're willing to part with it I could be interested.
  • from memory its a shimano coaster. alex rim and its mint.
    i am in glasgow tomozzle and sunday will send a photo

• Title keeps changing as plans change from one day to the next for this thing - I've got my hands on a set of wheels now, it seems im going down the route of a 20'' disc hub that i'll run as fixed by using a bolt on sprocket... As it's just a thrash around bike im trying to do this on the cheap so checking resources before buying new!

So all i require now before it's up and running is a bolt on sprocket, something like the following:

Not too fussed about the teeth but ideally reasonably low so that im not spinning away, anyway - if anyones got anything, let me know.

Thanks