Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Mallorca Training Weekend // September 2009
  • How would you like to replace this:

With this:

My parents own a flat in Mallorca and I've hired a bike there a few times. It's a really spectacular place to cycle with epic climbs and almost every single road as smooth as the freshly laid road by the clyde. I'd be up for taking a few people out for three days of cycling. Leaving on a Friday and coming back the following Monday works out nicely with flight times.

When?
    Thursday 10th September - Monday 14th September

How Much?
    Flights - £152.98 (priced on 26/03/09)
    Transfers - £20.00 (may be able to get rental car for similar money)
    Bike Rental - €45.00 (or take your own bike for £30.00)
    Total: £185(ish)

Here's a picture of my rental bike from when I was last there:

A similar cycle holiday organised through a company would cost about £400 (this is cheaper because we don't have to pay for accomodation). If no one is up for it I might offer this around to some local clubs.
  • As you know.....it's work dependent for me but it sounds like a good weekend.
  • In addition to all advertised features there will also be tremendous food available.
  • I'm up for this. I had similar thoughts as a friend's parents own a flat in Italy.
  • Sounds good. I'll look at the work calendar tomorrow, have a think about it myself, and let you know. But it sounds like an excellent change. Sunshine would be great.
  • I'll know more about specific dates by Tuesday.
  • i'd be up for this
  • I was expecting you four to be the one's who'd be interested in this. I've got a medical and registration in the first two weeks of September but this shouldn't interfere with that because it's only 3 week days that we'll be away for. I'll try and find out more information about when the medical is likely to be on Tuesday when I'm at the Glasgow med school applicants day.

Here's another photo I took on that day:

and a route elevation:

• Question. What about pedals on the rented bikes?

Man that climb looks juicy.
  • [quote]
    euan:
    Question. What about pedals on the rented bikes?
    They've got a selection of pedals available but recommend that you take your own to avoid dissapointment. The first time I went, I took my pedals. The second time, I forgot them. All was well. As for clips and straps, they probably have some really rubbish ones so you may want to take your own anyway (that's if you haven't already bought a road bike and been drawn in by the lure of Look).

[quote]
    euan:
    Man that climb looks juicy.
    It was a real killer. I think I stopped twice on the way up for 5 minutes each time. Climbs like that are what energy gels were made for. If it weren't for them, those stops could easily have lasted 20 minutes.
  • A quote for car rental works out at £62 which is cheaper than the airport transfer cost. The petrol we'd use wouldn't be too much (maybe £20). That means that your can replace the £20 airport transfer price with a £16 contribution towards the car. We'd probably go for that option because it helps with going to the supermarket to get €0.80 bottles of Eroski wine (mix it with lemonade to make a very refreshing drink called Tinto Verano).
  • Some more information:

The Bikes:

The bikes available are:

Giant T-Mobile TCR Alu - 105 = €45

Massi M-Carbon - 105/Centaur = €60

Giant T-Mobile TCR Carbon - Dura Ace = €75

Massi Pro Carbon - Dura Ace = €75

All/most bikes are available with a compact chainset (we'll probably all be wanting one of these apart form rabsda).

Helmets:

[quote]
    cyclingnews.com:
    Most cyclists in Spain are legally required to wear helmets, so when a Spanish policeman saw a group out for a ride and one rider not wearing a helmet, he pulled that rider over. Fortunately, Team Astana's Chris Horner knew that professional riders are not covered by the law.

Astana is holding its training camp on Tenerife, in the Canary Islands, and a group of riders including Horner and Lance Armstrong went out for a ride, when the group was stopped by the Spanish police.

"Horner found it funny because he knew the rules – he lived for some time in Spain – and knew there is an exception for professional riders," Astana spokesman Philippe Maertens told Cyclingnews. "He had to explain the rules to the policeman." After showing his identification to prove that he was, indeed, a pro rider, he was able to go on his way.

The 37-year-old actually had his rider's license with him as proof. "He always has it with him as he knows the Spanish rules," Maertens said. "Probably he was the only one who had it with him."

The Spanish law requiring helmets took effect in January of 2004. The exceptions are: when riding in cities or towns, during "periods of extreme heat", when riding up steep hills, for medical reasons and professional cyclists. Any riders during a competition are not required to wear a helmet, either. Violators are subject to a fine of up to 90 euro.

I think I'm going to buy one of these before I go:

• Ah. The S-Works bag will come in handy.

That Masi looks well tempting.
  • Which one? I'm tempted to go all out and get the Dura Ace Massi Pro-Carbon.
  • I'm tempted by the Massi also......and although I don't really need one an '09 Ionos may be too much to resist.......
  • [quote]
    johnnyhotdog:
    I'm tempted by the Massi also......and although I don't really need one an '09 Ionos may be too much to resist.......
    That's an Atmos although the Ionos is reduced more than the Atmos in some places so it might be possible to get the Ionos for cheaper.
  • It all depends on your colour scheme
  • I'm quite resolved to the fact that no helmet will look right on my head. I'm happy with my 2D though, especially considering the price. I'm amazed in the difference to comfort a high price makes.
  • I've seen the Ionos for £129 so far and that's the cheapest for a 2009. I may have a look and see who is selling off 2008 versions in either black or white.
  • [quote]
    euan:
    Evans have the small in blue and black for £60
    When I looked at those I thought they were all sold out. That's actually too cheap to pass up.
  • I had to buy it. I'm now the proud owner of a Giro Ionos helmet.
  • [quote]
    rusty:
    I had to buy it. I'm now the proud owner of a Giro Ionos helmet.

if this was facebook, I'd 'Like' this. :-)
  • Its likely to be the 2008 model but there is no real difference in my opinion. If I hadn't already got my 2D I would have jumped on this. I prefer the Specialized adjuster though.
  • [quote]
    euan:
    Its likely to be the 2008 model but there is no real difference in my opinion.
    If it was good enough for Rapha Condor Recycling.co.uk last year then it's good enough for me.
  • Haha.

This thread has made me start to wonder about technical base layers and shorts. I own neither, but I would expect they are required for cycling in Mallorca in September.
  • [quote]
    euan:
    Haha.

This thread has made me start to wonder about technical base layers and shorts. I own neither, but I would expect they are required for cycling in Mallorca in September.

Shorts. Definitely. These are meant to be very good. I've got these which are a bit more expensive. As for technical base layers. I have a polyester uniqlo t-shirt that I use although I want to get one of these.

Remember. If you're buying from wiggle. Use this link: Wiggle.
  • I'm a big fan of DHB stuff. It's reasonably priced and is really good - I use their Merston tights and baselayers/jerseys. Of course, the forum will also get a cut if you buy from wiggle.....
  • [quote]
    johnnyhotdog:
    I use their Merston tights and baselayers/jerseys.
    Maybe on this ride we'll have glasgowfgss jerseys made up. I doubt it because we need 15 people to get jerseys made (unless anyone wants to buy more than 1).
  • I like that I've called this a 'training weekend'. Training for what? The Glasgow winter evening sprint league?
  • Neither me or rabsda can make it. No holidays available for the 10th of September. Ok for the 14th, just nae the 10th.
  • Dates are still very much flexible. If you can, try and find out when you can take holidays and we'll see how things work out.
  • Friday 11th to Tuesday 15th is actually £10 cheaper.

Thursday 10th - Monday 14th = £154.98
    Friday 11th - Tuesday 15th = £144.98
    Saturday 12th - Wednesday 16th = £154.98

Currently they're all similar prices.

The following week:

Thursday 17th - Monday 21st = £149.98

That would be the last days I could make it because teaching starts on the 22nd.
  • The weekend after definitely, weekend before possibly.
  • Well I'll find out as much as I can about my university commitments when I'm at the applicants day on Tuesday and hopefully then I'll be able to book up New York and start thinking about setting a date for this.
  • This sounds a bit serious, all lycrad up roadie helmet wearing putting in the miles malarky.
    If there's enough interest/room at chateau rusty perhaps there could be 2 groups, one that hire geared bikes n do the miles and one who take their own bikes and are there more to enjoy the sun and the sangria and do some backwards circles down by the beach to try and impress the local senoritas?
  • [quote]
    mechanical_vandal:
    This sounds a bit serious, all lycrad up roadie helmet wearing putting in the miles malarky.
    If there's enough interest/room at chateau rusty perhaps there could be 2 groups, one that hire geared bikes n do the miles and one who take their own bikes and are there more to enjoy the sun and the sangria and do some backwards circles down by the beach to try and impress the local senoritas?

It's not really worth it for £200 is it? There is room for 6 at casa del rusty but it's more the car that limits things. 5 People can squeeze into a car with weekend baggage in the back.
  • Right - I've just been on to my personnel manager and operations director and they're going to let me know if I'll be on leave from the 10th to the 21st of September. As soon as I find out, I'll give a definite yes or no if that's okay?
  • [quote]
    rusty:
    [quote]
    mechanical_vandal:
    This sounds a bit serious, all lycrad up roadie helmet wearing putting in the miles malarky.

It's not really worth it for £200 is it? There is room for 6 at casa del rusty but it's more the car that limits things. 5 People can squeeze into a car with weekend baggage in the back.

Dunno, £200 seemed alright. I willl be trying to get away somewhere nice one one of my bikes for a bit of dicking about this summer but whether its the bmx, the flyer or the motorbike i have decided yet.
  • I'm reasonably flexible regarding specific dates, as long as I book the time far enough in advance, so I'll let you guys sort that side out and then see what I can do.
  • All this chat of the France expedition make me wonder if this is still on?
  • [quote]
    euan:
    All this chat of the France expedition make me wonder if this is still on?
    Sorry for not updating this sooner.

I can't pin down a date for my medical/registration for Glasgow Uni and so I have to keep the first two weeks of September free. That is partly why I looked into doing Ventoux.

EDIT: This will happen though. Just not in September.