Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
8th Dec Tournament discussion thread.
  • I've already suggested it, this is me making the first move towards organising it.

Glasgow Bike Polo Santa's Shuffle, Saturday 8th December - Mansfield Park

Use of the Gorbals Play Barn court should be no problem. We play every sunday anyway, so that's a few teams (3?) already. Edinburgh, will they be happy to come through for a day's polo? You know you want to.

Obviously it's not long after the Manchester tournament, which we're still working out the logistics of going to. However, I'm sure Newcastle, Manchester and any others will welcome the opportunity to play more polo, whether they can make it would be to be seen, but hopefully some would make the effort.

The reason I suggest this date is firstly because 'let's play polo', and also firstly, because the Bike Station is organising the Tartan Ride on the friday (St Andrews Day). This is a great opportunity to attract some attention and bring some new people down to Polo. Either by ourselves going along to the Tartan Ride and spreading the word, perhaps handing out flyers, or through announcement on the Bike Station's Facebook page, event page and notice board, assuming they are willing to do so. If we all think this is a good idea, I'll message the Bike Station and see what they say. Ideally both. Obviously we could promote it through other channels too.

The number of teams of established players would not necessarily matter; we could begin at 11am as usual, and have throw in games, instruction, begginners games, taking us up to 1pm. Quick break for food and drink and thanking people for coming, then a short tournament til 4 or 5 (sundown) with established teams and any newcomers keen enough to have a go.

A day of Polo, as much as a tournament.

I am happy to do the rounds on the forums to invite other cities over. I'm also happy to approach the Bike Station(/others) and ask if they want to be involved in any way at all. I can have a pop at creating a trophy, as well as any promo material. Planning the day shouldn't be too tricky; a structure of how the pre-tourney day shall go, with instructions, demonstrations, throw ins etc, food, then the brackets/league for the actual tournament. I can put on my teacher voice on the day to organise/shepherd/hurry people too.

I think we could put on a great day of polo, invite new people and maybe get a few new players, at least get some positive attention, and ultimately have some fun. Whatever organisation is required, and any I haven't thought of, we can get sorted in time, and I'll get cracking on as soon as possible.

What does everyone think? :)
  • can't we organize for a week later or the Saturday??? really not a good day for me and also public transport is better on the Saturday for people travelling long distance...
  • Saturday we can't play in the Gorbals Play Barn (I think?), and there's no guarantee that we'd be able to play on mansfield park all day. With the shorter days it would wrap up much earlier than previous tournaments, so there'd hopefully still be a few trains on. Checked, there's edinburgh trains every 15 or 30 mins up til 23.30, at least two trains an hour to Newcastle until 7pm, and 18.30 and 20.08 trains to manchester. There's nothing stopping us hosting it the weekend after but I think it would be really good to use the momentum from the Tartan ride to attract attention and encourage new players to come along.
  • i was thinking speak to the guys at the barn... see what they can do and maybe floodlights and toilets plus food inside....
  • They wouldn't let us play any time the kids are attending, and use of floodlights and toilets (which I guess means hire of the place) is £20 an hour, which isn't really practical. If we had the association in place we could ask for sponsorship for that, but that's all a bit rushed and to be honest, not really necessary I don't think.
  • Sounds good to me!
    There might be a drop off in momentum having it the next week but it could be said 2 days after might be short notice...

This gives me a deadline to have some goals ready for.
    I just need to wrangle the materials...

I also have a megaphone for use on the day along with a whiteboard or just some big paper this'll make sure everyone knows what's going on.
  • Yes. My only concern is if people would be up for a tourney so soon after Manchester? But worst case we have all the Glasgow folk, some edinbuggers and a few newbies from the tartan ride for a full day of polo, sounds good I shall try and get it booked off work when I get the chance.
  • mashphat said:

Yes. My only concern is if people would be up for a tourney so soon after Manchester? But worst case we have all the Glasgow folk, some edinbuggers and a few newbies from the tartan ride for a full day of polo, sounds good I shall try and get it booked off work when I get the chance.

That's my thinking, whatever happens we'll still have enough people to play some games. Hopefully some englanders will want to play polo enough to do two tourneys in one month.

We can do a facebook event, ask some shops/businesses to share it, I can speak to my guy at Yelp and arrange for it to be promo'd there (I already know a few of those guys who'd def be up for coming down).

If we manage to get in early and talk about it like a 'Glasgow St Andrews Cycle Weekend' then promoing in person during the tartan ride would be the final reminder, getting in a few folk who don't do the internet.

• Donnie said:

This gives me a deadline to have some goals ready for.
    I just need to wrangle the materials...

Also a good deadline for getting the association sorted out.

I suppose if we got our finger out and got it done we could attempt to do this properly, getting businesses involved, sponsorship and hiring the playbarn for the day. Either way, would be good to get some names behind it.

We can see how we get on.
  • The wee man and I might be able to pop along to cheer from the sidelines!
  • Come one come all! :)
  • What about making a shuffle tourney, given turnout might not be great due to Sunday and we will hopefully get people who have never played before. How this works is each round all players are shuffled into teams, if your team wins you as an individual get 3 points, draw 1 point, lose no points. Next round everyone is shuffled and scored again, once you have done this a few times you eliminate a few of the people who have the lowest score and repeat until there are 6 people left for the final.
  • That sounds cool!
  • That does sound cool!
  • It does however mean you can't be carried to the final. so you are fucked Euan :P
  • Sounds good, although like clem I am unfortunately almost certainly busy that weekend :-(
  • I'm in, sounds good. Sunday after the Tartan ride is a perfect opportunity to get new folks to come. However i don't think it would be fair to invite people to come from Newcastle and Manchester and not give them a full day of polo.
  • I'm in, sounds good. Sunday after the Tartan ride is a perfect opportunity to get new folks to come. However i don't think it would be fair to invite people to come from Newcastle and Manchester and not give them a full day of polo.

That's a good point. What shall we do?
  • Just tell them but don't mislead them about what sort of event it will be? They might turn up anyway for the banter. Bike station bike not be interested for insurance or whatever so find out that angle first.
  • Joshvegas said:

It does however mean you can't be carried to the final. so you are fucked Euan :P

Fuck you :P
  • Publicity Officer, this happening? Let's make it official if so.
  • Yup. let's do it.
    Islpiaway, could you make me an admin on the facebook page?

Let's also do a list of things to do;

Double check the date is ok with the Play Barn. James, you did this last time and it was ok wasn't it?
    Give it a name.
    Rough plan for the day (with contingencies).
    Invite Edinburgh.
    Invite other cities.
    Design poster/image.
    Speak to Bike Station/Siempre/Rig, and anyone else relevent, if they'd be up for helping us promote it.
    Do we need any funds? Maybe for poster/flyer printing?
    Can we arrange for tea and coffee on the day?
    What else is there to do?
    Oh yeah, invite aw yer pals! Promote it as much as possible. I already know a few folk who'd love to come and have a go.

I'll get started with the above stuff.
  • Is it gunna be shuffle style?
  • Ali whats yer fb email?
  • done, page not group, group needs to die...
  • Not best just deleting the group? it shows up in search results.
  • need to kick everyone first, effort.. Maybe make one last post telling folk to like the page as group is being deleted. Want admin there too? So lazy...
  • Set the group to private, so at least it wont show up in searches.
  • We need God burgers.
  • Barbecue, sorted. Can anyone bring a minister to bless them? (And a barbecue?).

Who brought the big sheet of tarp last time? Marquee would be good.

• I love it when a plan is coming together! I'm in, geez a shout if you need a hand with anything.
  • I still have the tarp and the Edinburgh goals.
  • islipaway said:

I still have the tarp and the Edinburgh goals.

Yass.
  • my mum's a ministers wife so she can bless the burgers....
  • You could just burn the hell out of them. That's most folks bbq technique anyway.
  • Let's just dress James up like a vicar.
    Or nun...
  • Let's just pray the rain isn't as biblical this time around.. :)

Looking forward to it.

• Date updated to Saturday 8th of December, farmers market over the field which is good.

We'll need to make sure we get there early, and be ready to explain to kids, students and council workers what's going on and why we're not leaving.

To do list;
    Give it a name. - GHBP Santa Shuffle, Christmas Shuffle? I saw momma shuffling santa clause?
    Rough plan for the day (with contingencies). - Some games, some demonstration/instruction, Shuffle tournament.
    Invite Edinburgh.
    Invite other cities. - possibly not a great idea seeing as its not a normal tournament, but if we're clear about what's going on, someone might be up for driving up or something.
    Design poster/image. - Santa playing polo, plus our logo, maybe a photo or two, information.
    Speak to Bike Station/Siempre/Rig, and anyone else relevent, if they'd be up for helping us promote it. - I can do this
    Do we need any funds? Maybe for poster/flyer printing? - Could use first lot of membership subscriptions?
    Can we arrange for tea and coffee on the day? - Dunno if that's possible, but barbecue is.
    Invite all your friends etc - I'll do a yelp event, and a facebook event.

Anything else?
  • Siempre, Rig, bike station, Gear, West End Cycles, Barras BikeHub...

Who else should we approach and invite to come along and share the info?

Facebook is how it's done, getting these places to share the event, reciprocal tagging in posts etc. As mentioned, I can get some yelpers along, and we can all bring friends.

Let's dae this!
  • I saw momma shuffling santa clause?

omfg win.

Farmer's market will have good coffee and burgers, I think tapa go there and there's normally burger people at these things...

We should clarify the format, I was thinking we play as much as we can all day then once everyone wants to go home, tally the scores and top 6 play a final, so no one is knocked out early. This means people can drop in or out at any point, if you win your first 3 games, you might fancy a pint then head out later on to rack up some more only to find some dude who has never played before has fluked 5 winning games and pushed you out.
  • Recoat? Trakke?

Also we need to write one of those "we're not responsible for you loosing all your teeth in a head on collision with the goals" waivers.
  • Good idea, i like that.

I have created the facebook event, but it'll need filled with details and images before we start sharing it.

Can that be a sign we put up? "By choosing to play you agree to take full responsibility for your injuries/death, GHBP takes no responsibility for such foolishness."?

Prizes?
  • Who wants to write up the waiver? Anyone done anything like that before?
  • "Bike Polo is a contact sport, while the rules are designed to minimise risk of serious injury accident can happen. By registering to play, you accept full responsibility for your own safety."
  • That's not at all well written, but you get the idea.
  • Who wants to write up the waiver? Anyone done anything like that before?

Waivers mean nothing in the UK, as you can't sign something that removes your own rights. However they're a good way of showing very clear and definitive proof that someone took part in an event with the full knowledge of what might happen to them.

So basically, you don't really need to worry about all the legal speak (seeing as it means nothing really) and you'd be best going down the "plain English" route, so that if (heaven forbid) someone took you to court then they couldn't argue that the waiver was confusing.

Something like:

The bicycle polo played here today is a contact sport. While the rules are designed to minimise the risk of serious injury, accidents can happen. You are also riding a bicycle, and the usual risks associated with this sort of activity apply too. In the event that you need medical assistance, you will be treated by our first aider.

By registering to play, you confirm that you have read and understood the above paragraph, are physically capable of playing and will be responsible for your own safety. And maybe you'll have fun too.

Are helmets required by the rules? More importantly, will people who are playing for the first time be told the rules?

The text assumes you'll have a first aider. If you're wanting to make it all proper, then best do a wee risk assessment for it too - so that if you don't have a first aider, then you've at least got a plan for if someone hurts themselves. You risk assessment should list the things that you consider to be hazards, and what actions you have taken to address them (e.g. mechanical failure on a bike, mitigation would be that bikes get a check before games begin - brakes etc.). Happy to help with that bit!