Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Bicycle Tag
  • Anyone interested in a game of bike tag? A favourite from LFGSS. Rules are simple:

1. Look at the last "tag" spot
    2. Work out where it is
    3. Go there on your bike and take a photo as proof
    4. Go somewhere else and take a photo as the new "tag" spot
    5. Post both photos here, in the same post, saying where the old spot was and giving a clue to the new one if you like
    6. GOTO 1.

Spots must be accessible to the public, and there should be some sort of loose boundary on the game - say, M8/Maryhill Road to the north, Bridgeton to the east, M74/M8 to the south and Crow Road to the west?

If you fancy playing, then I'll start us off:

• Brilliant game :) I'm in.
  • Nice idea. I'm in!
  • I don't think yer in till you're the first person to reply with a proper reply as outlined above... :P
  • its a bit late to be skulking about near there just now but i will join in at some point
  • Also those boundaries are a bit boring!

• Haha, I'm all for expanding them. Not sure where everyone is based. I'm sure we'll find out where the real boundaries are when someone posts a photo, everyone knows where it is but nobody want to go there!
  • Need an upload embed tool to make this work
  • M8? As in you've excluded the entire southside? Shocking! Why not have it sans boundary?

:)
  • Why not have it sans boundary?

Cause then some smart arse takes a photo in an obscure park in deepest, darkest barely Glasgow town, and the game ends...
  • We could use the City Limits as the boundary.
    Also, maybe an idea to have one thread discussing the game and one thread for playing the game
  • M8? As in you've excluded the entire southside? Shocking! Why not have it sans boundary?

Don't westenders get a nosebleed by the time they reach Shawlands?

City limits would be interesting, would justify some longer cycles around the place. We could always do a time limit on tags, say if no-one has got it in 7 days then the person takes another photo? The slightly more obscure photos (things like doorways) work better in the city centre where most people will have passed by them. I suppose the further out you go, the more obvious it should be (or the better the clue).
  • euanryan said:

Why not have it sans boundary?

Cause then some smart arse takes a photo in an obscure park in deepest, darkest barely Glasgow town, and the game ends...

Then hate the player, not the game.

Why not use the taxi boundary charge lines as the limit?

• That's an expensive way to find out where the game limits are, haha! Didn't think they still did boundary charges - Hampden Cars and Z Cars did away with them yonks back.
  • City boundary sounds like the best bet, since it seems to be signposted on every road out of town.

This is kind of a race too, then? Everybody will know where Midge's photo is, so it's the first one to get there and post the photo? I'm expecting half a dozen photos of the same thing to be posted at about 5.05pm today...

But this is cool, I'm well into it.
  • City limits it is, then.

First person to post a photo of their bike in the same place as mine (not necessarily the same photo, but showing that you went to the same place), and also a photo of their bike in a different place for the new tag. Both in the same post!
  • i like.
  • And no taking pictures of you bike in a hundred places, and having those pictures ready to post. Try to get the weather in too! Or something. Or just be honest.
  • London rules are that you have to take both photos in the same day. Not sure if everyone follows that though.
  • I think taking photos on the same day and a boundary limit should be governed by "be excellent to each other". Gentleman's honourable agreement to nae pictures of the inside of a close in Caldercruix taken last month.

Brickman said:

Need an upload embed tool to make this work

imgur.com

• The old spot was, as any fule kno, the McLennan Arch on Glasgow Green.

The new spot is not the McLennan Arch (EDIT: and may be a bit difficult for this stage of the game):
    click to embiggen
  • i hate swans. and that place is full of them
  • It certainly is. A whole swarm of them to the right of picture.
    Also quite a few to the left of picture.
  • The collective term is a "bastard of swans"
  • Jings, that's one of two places, I think, and they're both in opposite directions from here...
  • EDIT: Wrong place. I didn't have my phone to check if I was in the correct swan hangout.
  • Was sure I knew where that was from the lighthouse. Maybe not though - bit confused by the chimneys in the background.
    Richmond park
    William is not ill.
  • Photos not working. I'll sort it later thismorning.
  • Great spot.
  • William is not ill?

Miffed. Completely miffed.
  • I know that one but won't be near it till next week. Good location.
  • ny152 said:

I know that one but won't be near it till next week. Good location.

Yeah, photo and clue are brilliant Getafix. Wont be able to get out there before someone else does though.
  • Looking forward to finding out where this is.
  • Is there a time limit? (I have literally no idea where the second one is, worked out the first one though :) )
  • I'm not sure, I could put up more clues. I know that a couple of folk know where it is so I don't want to spoil it for them. But if it's only a couple of folk that know where it is and they don't make the effort to get there then the game will die and I don't want to be responsible for that.

OK decided to decipher half the original clue for you, the William in question is William Wallace.

• I was thinking about heading over to getafix's monday or tuesday, they being my earliest opportunity.

Probably should be a time limit though. 4 days? a week?
  • Was out yesteraday with an idea of where it could be, turns out I was wrong. So no idea.
  • Way to go obscure early. Never new he hung out in Red MacGregor's neck of the woods.
  • Despite thinking of myself as a curator of puns, I never "got" the extra clue at all, until I said it all together.

Slight diversion on my commute tomorrow I think!
  • Old one:

Wallaces Well, deepest darkest Robroyston

New one:

Certainly took my time getting between the two!
  • Yay! Ten points to that man.
  • Oh, and the comment is the clue. If it needs one.
    IMG-20121023-00431 by NoBrakeBoss, on Flickr

CLOCKED!

Glasgow City-20121023-00434 by NoBrakeBoss, on Flickr

A sight for sore eyes.
  • Never been, but a hidden gem! Think we should have a "no tagging two in a row" rule? Or fair game to all?

Also, that'll be the bike I was admiring outside of Rig. Lovely.
  • I had no idea that existed. Nice one!
    *stuck in Paisley sans bike*
  • I've never been either, didn't know it existed. I've sussed where it is and I sometimes ride through that park if I'm riding into the city. I'm beginning to really like this thread.
  • Despite the sore legs, I really enjoyed the cycle to Wallace's Well. I'd never been before, really interesting to visit, and I ended up reading the boards at the well and at the monument.

A good mix of city centre and further out places makes for a good game.
  • Despite the sore legs, I really enjoyed the cycle to Wallace's Well. I'd never been before, really interesting to visit, and I ended up reading the boards at the well and at the monument.

A good mix of city centre and further out places makes for a good game.

Glad you liked it, I live just a bit further out so the well is pretty local to me.

• Anyone played Bike Monopoly in Glasgow? You take the Glasgow version of Monopoly and see who can be first to take a picture at every "property". Good range of challenges - city centre, west end and then further afield like Auchentoshan and Pollok Park.
  • Could be a good idea for another thread (and an opportunity to rename this one)