Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
STOLEN - White On-One Inbred commuter build - please keep your eyes peeled for me :(
  • Hi all, i'm posting this on as many Glasgow biking sites as I can.

STOLEN: White 18" Inbred commuter, thomson seat[post/stem, easton carbon bars, exotic carbon fork, XT groupset, city jet tyres, spank rims, Rutherglen - Glasgow

Build exactly as per the pic but with black bonty grips, not the brown ones.

Taken from right outside my front door, a 4th floor flat in Rutherglen, Glasgow.

If anyone see's it anywhere please give me a shout, I only just finished building it a few weeks back :(

Murray, 07849017924
  • gutted for you, that's a sweet bike.
  • Thanks, pretty gutted like you say, it;s the second one I've had nicked too, the last one was a £3000 full suss MTB, both well secured (I thought!)
  • Will keep my eyes open on the cycles in and out of work, I pass through Rutherglen most days.
  • That's a tough time dude; check the usual portals on Gumtree & fleabay in case anyone's looking for a quick buck; difficult one to diguise being a complete build though beware of it sold split by component

good luck
  • shit I saw it yesterday or this morning ourside dales a Ned pulled up outside door then pulled away looking around, tall lanky Ned in white/ grey Tracksuit riding it in a very tall gear / shake man nor . Was test riding a customers bike at the time and sew loads of bikes but he caught my eye as looker a bit out of place on what looked like a nice bike (pace carbon forks)
  • Brickman said:

shit I saw it yesterday or this morning ourside dales a Ned pulled up outside door then pulled away looking around, tall lanky Ned in white/ grey Tracksuit riding it in a very tall gear / shake man nor . Was test riding a customers bike at the time and sew loads of bikes but he caught my eye as looker a bit out of place on what looked like a nice bike (pace carbon forks)

Are you actually serious?? It's Exotic carbon forks, Not pace but yeah, you defo think it's this bike? I don't suppose your shop has any CCTV outside?
  • I can check, but AFAIK the only cam we have on the front points at teh door from inside, so being a sunny day it won't have seen anything, let alone the angle it was at. Will check we don't have one on the outside in the morning for you.

Yeah it caught my eye as its a bright white on one, with carbon forks (look like pace from a distance) been ridden by a fairly tall, 5.11- 6.1 ned in white/grey ttracksuit in an unsuitable gear on the pavement. He hesitated like he was going to pull up to our door (in which case cam *might* have caught him if light was right). oh and he was heading east, toward Tiso/townhead.

Afraid I don't have any more info, and I'm not 'outside' as such and our windows are pretty poor so even if he does ride past front door again, wouldn't know unless I'm actually outside.

My advise would be to get down into Townhead/RVI area tomorrow mid morning (I think it was THIS morning about 9.30, but could have been yesterday afternoon, am so busy I'm not sure whether coming or going right now), and just trawl and trawl between all the corner shops/offies. Don't ask people, as they'll pass word and it'll dissapear, just keep riding around and looking and you'll see it again.
    After about 5-7days if you don't see it, it'll have properly dissapeared, thats typically the way :(
  • My guess would be that he'd have been thinking about going in and asking if they bought used bikes in Dales ie, quick and easy cash in. Probably worth your while alerting other shops in the city as he might continue trying. Not saying they will risk a confrontation to take it off the guy but you never know.
  • I appreciate the help guys, like you say I wouldn't expect anyone to confront him if he looked the type to have a go, I'd just like anything that could help get hold of the culprit myself and deal out some justice (and of course get my bike back)

Thanks again.

Murray.
  • Have you rung all the shops yet? Be worth ringing those up to 15miles out too as them knowing it belongs to someone after they've seen it/ dismissed it from their shop rather than before makes the difference between people reporting sightings and actual results.
  • Also get to the barras early then spend the morning there with a few burly mates.
  • I've emailed details to every bike shop in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I'll be down the Barras tomorrow AM and Blochairn Sunday too to see if there's any sign of it.

Thanks again, i take it there was no camera outside the shop?

Cheers!
  • Been lurking on this site for a while but decided to sign up when I seen this.
    I too recently had a bike stolen from the Rutherglen area and after weeks of nothing I happened to stumble across it eBay. Turns out the seller owns the cyclesmith shop in Rutherglen (which is a coincidence as that's where I bought the bike from in the first place) he said that he bought the bike from someone who he regularly buys bikes from but was unwilling to tell me who. My advice would be to check there and keep an eye on it for the next few weeks!
  • Sounds like he knows full well they are nicked bikes.
  • Thanks! did he just give you it back?

That's a nightmare as I called them yesterday to ask them for an email address to send all the details to.

If he's buying dodgy bikes then I'm sure by me sending him all the details/pics that if he did have it then it's long gone!

Do you happen to have a link to his ebay shop?

Out of interest, you don't stay next to Tesco do you?
  • Been lurking on this site for a while but decided to sign up when I seen this.
    I too recently had a bike stolen from the Rutherglen area and after weeks of nothing I happened to stumble across it eBay. Turns out the seller owns the cyclesmith shop in Rutherglen (which is a coincidence as that's where I bought the bike from in the first place) he said that he bought the bike from someone who he regularly buys bikes from but was unwilling to tell me who. My advice would be to check there and keep an eye on it for the next few weeks!

Directed by M Night Shyamalan.

I really hope that's not as dodgy as it so plainly sounds.

• Got it back only after threatening to report him to the police even after this he still wanted £70. Got the vibe that he buys stolen bike and just pretends he new nothing about it. He also said he asked the guy who he bought the bike from for ID and as the guy claimed to have no other identification accepted, wait for it .....a court date letter!
  • You should have gone to the Police anyway man, people like this are the reason people steal bikes, if nobody would buy them then there would be no point stealing them.

I reckon I may have shot myself in the foot though sending him all the details, it will be well stashed if it had or does come in now.

Thanks for letting me know anyway... Wasn't a red Carrera was it? He mentioned something when I phoned.

Do you have the Ebay ID for him?
  • Keep an eye on it though for a while as it it was maybe 6 weeks later when I got it back!
    No it was a gazelle!
    Yeah no problem, I'm out just now though! Is it ok to get back to you later tonight?
  • Of course, I appreciate it,thanks.
  • Sorry dude, camera outside the shop faces away up the street complete opposite direction, and there are no others
  • there's a police station and a fire station near there, worth a shot to see if their cctv caught him?
  • the bmw garage has a camera on the corner next to lights facing down that street/pavement so worth asking them. Think its a ball cam right on the edge next to traffic light.

I've just taken one of my bikes out of there today. If the shop is punting dodgy bikes then I'd much rather take my money somewhere else.

• i feel pretty bad. i recommended this shop a while back. I was up at wheel craft and big Al and his mate gave a long lecture about how john is a dodgy dude and that i shouldnt ever go there and all that. glad you got your bike back though.
  • I've recommended it to others too, which I'll be retracting. I was more frustrated at the fact that they had it for 3 months, and it was only in to get three spokes replaced on the rear wheel. And the spokes still hadn't been replaced when I took it back!
  • They've got one of the worst websites I've seen for years.

http://www.cyclesmith.co.uk/accessories.php
  • ive just read this,i own cyclesmith,and i can assure you i dont buy stolen bikes,clemp3 i cant understand as i have done him loads of favours,the guy goldie 1212,sent his girlfriend down to my shop ,to say i had advertised her boyfriends stolen bike frame on ebay,i said i was glad he had found it,and would gladly give it back,but i paid £70 for,and kept it for a month,to see if anyone claimed it,i said i would rebuild it for free,and to collect it on the friday,on the friday a guy came in and said he was the owners brother,i sais why doesnt your brother come down hiself,then he handed me £20 for some reason,i couldnt understand this,then i sussed i had built a wheel for his brother,he said he would go to the bank,and for some reason never came back,i cant understand why this guy would bad mouth me,i did him lots of favours,when he used to come to the shop,i can assure anyone,i would nevernoingly buy a stolen bike,when i read these things about my shop,i was sick,why do people you help,try to bad mouth you,as for you clem please come into the shop,so i can put you straight,you know the favours ive did for you,im not a person who is money motivated,so would never ever buy a stolen bike,im just a guy who did road racing for years,and opened a repair business,then stared selling the odd second hand bike,but if im being accused of buying stolen bikes i will nwver buy one again,im an honest guy,who has always gave back,any stolen bike which i have unknowingly bought,i once had all my bikes stolen from my shed,and i know how it feels,i want the guy ho got his gazzelle back to come to my shop.if he has the guts,as i want to speak to him,im raging at him,and the guy who got his one on one stolen,to come to speak to me in the shop,im trying to run an honest business,and do cheap repairs,and genuingly help people,anyone who knows me,and anyone who works in my shop will know,i do not and i mwan this,buy stolen bikes,sometimes its hard to tell if a bike is stolen,i always take id,also this guy who said i took a court summons as id,is twisting things,i told him a guy offered me a court summons as id,and i sent him on his way,i nearly got a doing,when a yob tried to sell me a bike,which i had repaired the week before,and i tried to take it off him to give to the owner,and he threaten to crash my windows,its not easy as i said buying second hand bikes,and goldie1212,please come into my shop because i cannot beleive what you have said about me,after all the advise you got from us,and anyone who has there bike stolen,please please come to my shop,im trying to earn an honest buck,as for the guy who made the statement about alistair gow,saying im a dodgy guy,alistair used to build my road wheels when i raced,also the guys in the road scene will know me as smudger,and will know im honest,ive not seen alister for years ,but i will be visting him this week,to see if this is true,and will be having words with him,i was wondering why im quiet at the moment,now i know why,why do people always want to bring you down when your a decent guy,people come to my wee shop for a coffee,and a chat,and anyone of you are welcome,and please be assured i do not buy or sell stolen bikes,and to finish off with,i have a few police friends and a procurator friend,who when i opened my shop,gave my advise about stolen bikes,and any bikes i think are stolen,i give the police the frame number to check,the gazzelle was a bike i bought from a guy who comes into the shop,and his mum also comes in so i had no reason to think the bike was stolen,as he said it was too big for him,also goldie1212 said i had bought bikes from this guy before,i never said that,i sais the guy is a customer in our shop,i hope this puts everyone straight,as im totally gutted,especially with clem,as he had become a regular,who i helped a lot,as i do with other students ect.,please beleive me,and i do good quality repairs at reasonable prices,im a small repair shop,who enjoys helping people and love working on bikes,so dont believe all you here,from other people,and goldie1212,come into my shop.i want to speak to you.
  • sorry im that mad i have to write this,ive been thinking,the guy who got the gazzelle stolen,sent me a message through ebay,he didnt know the bike was in my shop,i was honest enough to tell him,also when his brother came to pick the bike up.i did not ask for the £70 back,i said i would take the loss,also he was angry because the bike wasnt built up on time,as i was so busy,my friend took him out of the shop and told him,i was angry at buying a stolen bike,and when he mentioned the police,i offered to phone them,as i had nothing to hide,and if anyone wants to go to the local police,they will confirm,i keep in touch with them,and even asked them to give me information about any stolen bikes,they said it would take up too much of there time,and that was 2 years ago.man im so mad at this guy,and people believing him,his brother came into my shop,like a wee yob,as now i know his brother sent him down,as he wouldnt come himself,because of what happened with the wheel,and why would he give my £20,and why does he not mention,i told him i it was in my shop,he didnt know even know i had a shop.and i was honest enough to tell him,why would i if i knew the bike was stolen,come on,oh man am i mad.not long after i opened,a guy came in and said he had his bike stolen,he gave me a discription,i said its in the workshop,and gave it back to him,if i bought stolen bikes,i would have said i never had it,also i never took the money i paid for it,i bought it from a 50 ish old respecksble women,who you would never think would sell a stolen bike,why do people never say the good things we do and always the bad,oh man am i mad,mad,mad,sorry about the ranting,but this is really getting to me,i ask any of you to come into my shop and look for a stolen bike,im disgusted,
  • yo man. all i have done is favours back at you. handed out all your flyers. recommended you on this forum and all i hear is shite about you from very respected people in the cycling trade and i start to wonder why no one i know knows about you and all then this happens and so i apologize for recommending you because it seems your business can't be trusted. i don't need to come in and speak to you, i appreciate the help on the bb and all but people question you and your business so your priority shouldnt be to have a bloody rant with a couple of guys your angry with, you should be looking at how you can fix this and prove to people you are legit... its not professional ranting on a forum is it? i respect you and am sure you are a good guy but until somebody recommends you to me i won't be back in...
  • Is it not more hassle buying and selling second hand bike than its worth if its going to effect the rest of your business? In other shops you ask for ID note the serial number on it (6 digits on drivers licence or passport number etc) take a photo of the person selling it and a full note of there name and address and file it in case such things happen. You can then pass them on to the police when the shit inevitably hits the fan. At least that way you can keep yourself right and it will also put people off who want to sell you stolen bikes as they wont want to take the risk.
  • Jambo's suggestions seem like a good idea. Would certainly help if any problems arise in the future.

I've only dealt with Cyclesmith a couple of times and the guy did seem pretty decent and genuine, just trying to make out a living like most of us. No excuse for anybody who knowingly sells dodgy stuff but can only base my comments on a positive personal experience.
  • Likewise, I found John (John?) good for a chat.

please beleive me,and i do good quality repairs at reasonable prices,im a small repair shop,who enjoys helping people and love working on bikes

This is certainly true.

• hi everyone on this forum,i know i have been a bit nieve in buying bikes,i take id ect.but people could be giving me lies,as the guy says selling second hand bikes is too much hassle,im going to stick to repairs,as i would hate anyone to think,im a delboy,most people i know,dont go onto this forum,me included,but im glad i was told about this,i opened my shop as a way of earning some money,but also as something i love doing,iv never had any complaints,and this is only the second time,iv came across a stolen bike,and iv gave them back to there owners,i dont know why other cycle traders are bad mouthing me,is it because i do better and cheaper repairs,willy bain,a respected guy,sends people to me for second hand bikes,and thats a guy i respect highly,as for clem,saying ranting at people doesnt help.its the only way i can let people know,im not a young guy starting out,it wasnt easy,but i thought i had built up a good reputable wee business.and then people who i thought i was helping,and treated them as friends,listen to other people,its hard to take in,i like to talk to people face to face,and clem i dont see why you cant come in,you came to the shop when you wanted something,i didnt charge you,or charged you buttons,i honestly treated you as i would a friend,a decent guy would come in and at least let me know who is bad mouthing me,i dont read a lot of forums,so didnt know all this about stolen bikes,but the bikes in my shop,will be getting sold,and ill only be doing only repairs,as in the summer im that busy,i cant concentrate on selling bikes,so i hope geniune people who know me see this,and it doesnt affect my business,as i dont deserve this and thanks to the guys who do put possitive feedback for me,and i will be visiting big al this week,as for my website being the worst someone has seen,im not into websites,and dont think i need to advertise,as i get loads of repairs,ive fixed bikes since i was a teen,im now 59,so i think i have a vast amount of experience,to help people,and thats what i love doing.
  • I just want to add to the conversation with goldie1212 and cyclesmith01, I was in the back shop when the guy came in about the bike. John had stripped the bike and said he'd rebuild it by the end of the week. The guy asked how much and John was a bit surprised that he would expect to pay.

For me this is an unfortunate incident that has been blown out of proportion. It is easy for that to happen on forums,the written word doesn't always translate well.

In terms of my experience of the shop,I have 5 bikes and was keen to learn to maintain myself,but its so cheap and reliable at Cyclesmith that I just go there. John has always offered advice in purchases and upgrades as well as spending time trying to get me good buys. You should pop in and see for yourself rather than listen to one person's bad experience that was more circumstance than premeditated from Cyclesmith. He got stung by a stolen bike, it is not the norm as far as I have seen,and I have spent a fair bit of time there.

I agree dealing second hand seems to be more hassle than its worth.
  • ive had loads of phone calls regarding this persecution from respectable cycle traders.offering there sympathies.and as for you clem.stating you.ve heard a lot of shit.from respecable people in the cycle trade.why would they phone me.ive decided.i will only sell second hand bikes for people.and pay them.when there sold.with full printed id.and concetrate on my repairs.looking on the positive side.this forum.has done me a favour.as it has opened my eyes.to how many bikes are stolen.in the glasgow area.and its horrible.also clem.you put out flyers.because i gave you free parts for your bike.you seem to see things one sided.and thanks for all the support ive had.ei phone calls ect.i think this has done my business more good than bad.as my regulars.and guys i know in the cycle trade.couldnt believe this rubbish.i hope this is the end of this debate.and clem.see the good in people and not the bad.its not a nice way to be.please let me get on with my business now.and pop in and see for yourselves.
  • why you taking this so personally. I know your a decent guy john. Ive met you enough times to know that. I wouldnt lie about what ive heard and wouldnt post what i posted if it wasnt true. if people are phoning you then good for you. Talking like i ruined your business when all i did was openly help promote it. Whats one sided? I paid you for most parts and the time i got some wee bits for free i took some flyers and got them handed out so hows that one sided?
    Its great that this has done you more good than bad. Im perfectly entitled to my own opinion and can do as i wish and think whatever i want to think. I believe there will still be people who will to doubt you. Im not one of them but im not totally convinced either.
    perhaps over time.
  • The reason why other people came in to collect the bike, John is that I have a job and could not make it in on time. Nobody asked you to rebuild the bike I would have been happy with the parts but apparently you insisted, which was fine. As you said you would be willing to take the loss I was prepared to split it with you. A week later the bike still wasn't ready so when my brother came in he only gave you £20. He was then told to come back a few days later. Now at this point I was getting nervous as I now found out where my stolen bike was but still did not have it back. When my brother went back to collect it he found that it was still not ready. I'm not condoning him acting like a "yob" but at the same time I'm don't think you where exactly polite to him.
    As for the whole wheel situation you built a wheel from parts I supplied(slowly I might add) and then went on to charge me much more than you quoted in the first place. Being a student at the time and having little money I thought f***k that. Not saying it was the correct thing to do but there you go.
    You do yourself no favours and like it or not do have a bad rep.
    If you still want me to come down to speak to you that's fine but I see little to be gained from it
  • To be honest, the escalation of comments in this thread has put me off Cyclesmith more than the original allegations.

The minute a stolen bike is sold via a shop, whether knowingly or not, the shop is supporting bike theft. It's not necessarily the shop's fault, but people are going to steer clear until they know that bike theives aren't going to ever be able to profit through that shop.

I'm glad to hear that you're changing your methods to help avoid this in the future, but I'm put off by the fact that this was a response to 'persecution' on a forum, and not a direct reponse to discovering a stolen bike in your possession.

Changing your methods was a secondary response to claims made against you, and your first reaction was to rant at forum members, singling out some of them, and challenging some of them to speak to you in person; not what I want to associate your business with.

I can't help but feel that if you had changed your methods as soon as you realised stolen bikes might be a problem, then none of this would have happened, and your ranting would not have been necessary.

Just my thoughts which I felt I wanted to write down.
  • ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    unfortunately some people just arent convinced john... me included
  • rant at forum members, singling out some of them, and challenging some of them to speak to you in person; not what I want to associate your business with.

I have to say, I'd probably have thought nothing more of this and assumed the guy made a mistake, if he hadn't came on here. Asking folk to 'come and speak to him' sounds a bit pub carpark to me.

• Asking folk to 'come and speak to him' sounds a bit pub carpark to me.

+1... pretty threatening... :(
  • Gerry McG said:

Asking folk to 'come and speak to him' sounds a bit pub carpark to me.

+1... pretty threatening... :(

Exactly what I thought and my girlfriend said, having read it over my shoulder.

• when i say i want people to come and speak to me i dont mean as a threat,as im not a voilent guy,what i mean is why do they have to rant on a forum about me,this is a handfull of people,judging me,who dont even know me,what sickens me is i do people loads of favours,one time i make a mistake,im shot down for it,i thought i did the right thing telling the guy i had a shop,and to come to it and pick up the bike, if i had stolen bikes,would i tell him to come to my shop,no seems you cant win with you guys,as for big al think youve been a wee bit nieve clem,as it was one of his wind ups,as usual,and get this straight once and for all.I DO NOT BUY OR SELL STOLEN BIKES, now can we put this to sleep.
  • No one's claiming you deliberately deal in stolen bikes, but you have been taken advantage of once before with a stolen bike, so people are going to be wary that it might happen again.

It happens to lots of bike shops, which is why they put safe guards in place to limit the chances. You didn't do this until it was discussed here and you lost your temper (instead of calmly setting the record straight). Like I said, this has put me off more than the initial allegation.

This is a cycling forum, we're going to discuss with other cyclists what we see as important issues regarding cycling. I'm sorry to say the only person ranting here was you.

I hoped you hadn't intended to be as threatening as your comments sounded, but they did seem that way (glad I wasn't the only one who thought this, thought I was paranoid).

I really hope you don't get any stolen bikes palmed off to you in the future, and that it doesn't affect the rest of your business.
  • I think a can of worms has certainly opened here now let's everyone forget it go to whoever the fuck you trust and get on with life. Cyclesmith as you said it seemed to benefit you and gave you a chance to set some folk straight. Happy days. Go ride yer bikes!
  • On a light hearted note - I love the proper use of punctuation.
    Longest sentence on the forum award goes to......Cyclesmith01
  • great lets be light hearted,and chill out.i knew somone would mention this,
  • Thread closed?