Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
hub suggestions please
  • bought a 36h open pro rim in error few months ago and have decided to make up a new rear wheel for my fuji. willy bain has struggled to get hold of a double fixed (not essential), fairly weather resistant hub (black or silver) that isnt really cheap or really expensive. any suggestions?
  • miche primato. that's what i run with my open pro's and they're bulletproof. or, more importantly, glasgow weather proof.
  • The halo track hubs are ment to be pretty decent and middle price range, also surly and a bit higher priced goldtec.
  • Double posted for some reason
  • I went for Zenith hubs from Velosolo just the other day - £60 a pair. Willy is building them up with Open Pro rims next week.

I believe that they're the same as SystemEx et al. I like the total lack of branding on them:

Never ridden them yet, of course, so no comments on that front. I'm trusting Velosolo's judgement.
  • those zenith hubs look similar to the plant X track hub I have on. my issue is the bearings are expsed to the elements (red bit visible). I was hoping for something that keeps the shit away form the imprtant bits.
    he also recommended the halo hub but was having difficulty getting it, hence my questions here
  • Hmmm, Velosolo have them described as 'sealed'...

Velosolo said:

Zenith Sealed Bearing Track Hubs

Superb value fixed wheel hubs for traditional threaded track cogs. Same hubs frequently found under other names but Zenith have a good clean finish as they carry no obvious branding. Machined and polished large flange design with smooth sealed replacable cartridge bearings. Double fixed with both sides having standard 1.37" x 24tpi threading with LH thread for lockring.

I'm not keen on the idea of them not actually being so!
  • +1 on the Miche Primato. I've got a small flange and it's a really nice looking hub. There are seals over the bearings it's only threaded on side though and it's a bit difficult tracking them down in 36 hole but the large flange is double sided.

Yes Zenith, On-one, Planet-x SystemEx are all much the same hub.

Alex, the hubs do have sealed cartridge bearings that most people call sealed bearings but some other hubs have additional sealing to keep dirt, grit, moisture away from the sealed bearings so double bagged so to speak.
  • Thanks.

I suspect that without the double-seal I am going to kill these things pretty quickly! Fiddlesticks.
  • Nah, nah. My winter bike rolls on Zenith hubs and I've ridden them through a good few winters. Which has included a lot of off road, towpath grit, salt and the occasional complete submersion in water and they are still fine with an annual bearing replacement.
  • Big Al stocks the Zenith hubs in the cup and cone flavour. He thinks they have significantly better weather sealing than the cartridge/sealed bearing flavour.
  • Getafix said:

still fine with an annual bearing replacement.

thats my issue, i 'replaced' my bearings last winter, but to get the new bearings in wasn't that easy, rather than press fit, i smacked them in with a hammer in a fit of frustration. doubt ill be able to get them out again as you cant catch the inner edge pushing then out from the other side due to the shape of the hub body. any other suggestins for removal would be appreciated !
  • Cup and cone are DIY rebuild able for 2 quid, I have a selection of said campag hubs thatve been running for 30 years, used when I got them
  • The one thing that I can whole-heartedly recommend, because I've yet to destroy them (and I destroy everything), are Goldtec track hubs. True wonders of un-touched longevity. Mine have done an inordinate mileage.
  • rusty said:

Big Al stocks the Zenith hubs in the cup and cone flavour. He thinks they have significantly better weather sealing than the cartridge/sealed bearing flavour.

the hubs that came with the fuji are like that i think but the bearings seemed really exposed to me (sitting behind that little alloy cover)

• reg said:

doubt ill be able to get them out again as you cant catch the inner edge pushing then out from the other side due to the shape of the hub body. any other suggestins for removal would be appreciated !

Is there a step on the axle? As in, is the axle wider between the bearings? If it is you can chap them out using the axle.

Just re-read and it looks like you are talking planet x. I'm sure the internals are tapered so you can chap the bearings out.
  • what happened last time with the knackered bearings is that the bearings fell apart leaving the outer race stuck in the hub body. yes planet X.
  • reg said:

rusty said:

Big Al stocks the Zenith hubs in the cup and cone flavour. He thinks they have significantly better weather sealing than the cartridge/sealed bearing flavour.

the hubs that came with the fuji are like that i think but the bearings seemed really exposed to me (sitting behind that little alloy cover)

Big Al has built me wheels for 30 years, his sales pitch never changes, until his stock does!
  • If you are after a hub that will probably do a few years, and then the cost/effort of trying to replace bearings becomes prohibitive then the systemEX/onone hubs are what you are after.
    If you want a hub that just performs without so much as 30seconds maintenance for 5yrs+, then get something decent like the goldtecs.

My mate has been running around LDN on a set of goldtec's on open pro CD's for 2years almost non-stop, and they were used wheels when he got them. Bearings are like the day they came out of the shop, if not better, anodizing has faded a little from being out in the salt/sun/traffic slime for so long but that will happen to any ano under same circumstances.

or how about a hope XC front hub, flipped and used with a disc adapter (ideal for 120mm spaced frames, 130mm+ might start to look a bit daft though). Bearings in those are stella. Or if you get the bulb/20mm/pro hub, you can have a solid bolt through axle and I'm pretty sure they have 4x bearings in them, which I can vouch you WILL get 10yrs+ abuse out of without worry.
  • cheers for advice, miche primato i think, cant justify goldtec when the rest of the bike is only worth 300 quid.
  • Once the bearings go in the Zenith hubs replace with Enduro MAX bearings. Worth it and they will last longer.
  • If in doubt phil her up!!
  • Primatos are gid
  • i am searching through and found this thread!

Just wondering what are your thought on the importance of sealed/not sealed bearings in Glasgow? (glasgow weather is obviously always dry....)
    cheers
  • Well before I got my current back wheel I rode a cheap cup and cone effort that needed constant cleaning' to keep it healthy. I now have a phil wood on the rear not even touched it once in what must be a year. Raced it crashed it and smashed it off a taxi or two! I'd take Josh's advice and go for the miche primato head out to Wheelcraft and big al will sort you out!
  • I'd opt for the miche hub as well. Brilliant quality at a very fair price again big al will sort you out.
  • i got 2 miche primato hubs from shiny bikes for £65