Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
New To This Caper
  • Just got a fixed after a long time off the bike. Taking it fairly easy but still had a few 'moments' . Having to stop to make a right turn usually leads to a crap re-start position with my clipped in foot behind me.
    Any tips on this and anything else I should look out for? I've got over the urge to instantly stop pedelling when I see a foot deep pothole so thats something.

Cheers.
  • [quote]
    langstatrippin:
    Having to stop to make a right turn usually leads to a crap re-start position with my clipped in foot behind me. Cheers.

Good show on getting started...

Put your unclipped foot down, reach around and grab the saddle/cross bar and lift the back wheel and spin the wheel into the desired position.

Enjoy.

Also worth noting anticipation seems to be the key to this whole fixed thing.
  • To start off like this I just hold the bike on front brake with one foot down, push bars forward to lift back of the bike and turn the pedal to start position.
  • [quote]
    langstatrippin:
    Having to stop to make a right turn usually leads to a crap re-start position with my clipped in foot behind me. Cheers.

Track stand
  • If you've got a chance, i'd head out either late at night or early in the morning. Gives you the opportunity to get used to the bike fixed without getting knocked off, thus also getting used to avoiding nasty pot holes etc.

I remember cycling up to Gartnaval hosital at about 1:00 am one night and just practising stopping, starting and getting clipped in and pretty much getting to grips with track standing etc.
  • Thanks for the advice. I knew someone would suggest a track stand, however, I'm an old dog and that would be a new trick.
  • i've been riding bikes as my favourite hobby + past time as long as i can remember.. and i still cant trackstand a road bike. gimmi a mountainbike.. no problems.
  • Pedal strike. I found it useful to find a height I can clear (the kerb in my car park at work for example) and use that as a guide/point of reference for others.
  • [quote]
    langstatrippin:
    Thanks for the advice. I knew someone would suggest a track stand, however, I'm an old dog and that would be a new trick.

it's not as difficult as people make out
  • Just discovered Wiggle, what a shop...pass me the chamois cream
  • Wiggle and CRC are two of my main online bike shops.

Track standing. I can do it in normal clips+trainers, no chance clipless though.
  • [quote]
    euan:
    Track standing. I can do it in normal clips+trainers, no chance clipless though.
    I find it easier clipless. Too scared to do it with clips and I can't really do it at all on flat pedals because my feet slip into a bad position.
  • wtf is wrong with your sense of balance balance people
  • i was trying them in the green proper clipped in and everything, I've not achieved a prolonged trackstand but it seems fairly achievable
  • s'just practise.
  • Aye I've not bothered to practice clipless to be honest