Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Current Projects
  • Figured it would be nice to have a communal work in progress build thread seeing as there is a lack of individual ones. So here's my project and where all the money from my sales thread is going...

• This is Beautiful. such a nice paint job! Is that the original lick?
  • [quote="Tp"]This is Beautiful. such a nice paint job! Is that the original lick?
    Or is it a new frame- custom made for you?
  • oh man, put on some silver sugino 75s and polish them up... that is complete sex.
  • Cheers dudes, it's original paint as it's custom frame. Not decided on cranks yet.
  • I'm actually itching for a new project...
  • That is looking lovely! You should get some vintage record cranks on it, I think it would suit those. What length is that stem? Quite fancy one of those jaguar stems...
  • [quote]
    euan:
    I'm actually itching for a new project...

My frame is still for sale...
  • most likely too big for me and its a long term idea.
  • I'm building a boat. I hear a storm's coming.

• I have been building this:

Moving all my stuff to the new flat- DONE

More rubbish pictures here
  • [quote]
    otherjames:
    I have been building this:

Moving all my stuff to the new flat- DONE

More rubbish pictures here

Any chance of boaring this is the future?!
  • If you like BUT, if you are injured or arrested or damage your possessions it is NOT my fault.
  • that trailer must be ruining your sexlife!
  • Au contraire, you can give one girl a backy back to your place. I can give her a lift, and her two unconscious mates too.
  • Went to view a flat 2 months ago and what was in the hallway? A disused Flying Scot. After finally tracking the owner down, I'm now the proud owner. He had had it since 1982 and had been his dream bike since he was a child but could never afford one. He's too old to ride bikes now and I think it was quite a reluctant sale.

We chatted for ages about cycling in Glasgow and the old Flying Scot workshop, Rattray etc. There was a tear in his eye when he handed it over but I told him I'd be in touch and bring round the finished restored bike to show it still has life in it.

I also got an old Marlboro Venom racer from him. Don't know much about Marlboro except they used to make BMXs in the 70s? If anyones looking for a wee project, I'll get some pics up tonight.
  • My mate has a marloboro, I seem to remember trying to find out about it.

some link to holdsworth if memory serves me correctly
  • [quote]
    spacewood:
    Went to view a flat 2 months ago and what was in the hallway? A disused Flying Scot. After finally tracking the owner down, I'm now the proud owner. He had had it since 1982 and had been his dream bike since he was a child but could never afford one. He's too old to ride bikes now and I think it was quite a reluctant sale.

We chatted for ages about cycling in Glasgow and the old Flying Scot workshop, Rattray etc. There was a tear in his eye when he handed it over but I told him I'd be in touch and bring round the finished restored bike to show it still has life in it.

I also got an old Marlboro Venom racer from him. Don't know much about Marlboro except they used to make BMXs in the 70s? If anyones looking for a wee project, I'll get some pics up tonight.

Im looking for a racer to do a conversion on. Dont have much money the now though.
  • Well, I've been busying myself with another Langster. I've always like the earlier geometry and paint better so I now have this:

• Very nice. Not the bike we're salivating in anticipation over though.
  • [quote]
    rusty:
    Very nice. Not the bike we're salivating in anticipation over though.

Ah, no.

All I need is the seatpost for that. It's all built up, tubs are glued and everything. I just need Mr ct to get back to me about paying for his post and it'll be done.

What I can say, is that it's tight. There's almost no visible clearance at the fork crown or the seat stay bridge and it's going to look pretty aggressive with the slammed front end. It might even be painful to ride.....
  • Its a grimace of pleasure
  • [quote]
    euan:
    Its a grimace of pleasure

Cycling's a bit like sex - you can tell you've had a really good time because it hurts.
  • You need to get that frame in a nice flouro ISD style.
  • Anyone feeling brave?
    DIY
  • where does the bravery come in?
  • I'm not positive, but I think it might be something to do with the fact that the bike is made out of bamboo.
  • It may attract hungry pandas. I'd be scared.
  • Yeah. Don't be riding that bike to the zoo.
  • Nothng dangerous about it, Bamboo is a well estabished material for building bicycles, its basicaly a natural carbon fibre, extremely strong and very hard, you have to cut the stuff with a hacksaw. its good enough for calfee design to build bamboo bikes.

I'm intending to build a bamboo bike after i've brazed one
  • Au contraire, you can give one girl a backy back to your place. I can give her a lift, and her two unconscious mates too.

[insert rohypnol joke here]
  • Picked up this frame/forks:

Having it re-sprayed in a shiny metallic green with the headbadge re-set. Gonna try and build a bike up from scratch and have it ready for about April next year.

The big buys are decent wheels and crankset. Was thinking about having the wheels built by big al at wheelcraft. Has anyone on used them for that?

• Why the re-spray? That looks well presentable.

Do you know who owned it before? It looks like it has a number hanger on it so was potentially raced by a pro'.
  • Sorry, to answer your question on Big Al at Wheelcraft, building wheels is his speciality.
  • Aye great wheel builder.
    Been using him for years and never a truer wheel was there than one built than by this man.
  • Are you building this up to sell it?
    Thats a lovely frame
  • Aye it would be sound if I could keep the Paintjob it has, but it's a bit tatty and has a wee ding on the top tube. It'll look alot smarter after it's done - only big minus is it costs a bleedin fortune to re-do the chrome and is a bit too knackered to keep as is, so I'm losing it.

I bought it off a bloke called Tel on lfgss - search Batavus on there and he comes up. Seems to have a line in them. Connections in the Netherlands perhaps? Dunno who might have raced it though.

The cover panel over the BB - serial number's on it, and the threads are grand etc. But there are gaps either side of the panel so you can see into the BB. Is that normal?

I was impressed with Wheelcraft when i went up, every wheel being made looked like a labour of love!

This'll be my first build from scratch so it'll be more for love then money. If I enjoy the project I might sell it to start again. Plan is for it to be my smart/summer bike!
  • how tall are you?!

pretty normal for there to be cutaways in the bottom bracket shell, especially in well fancy columbus tubing.
  • Just under 6'2". Inside leg is 97cm. I should have been a can can dancer.

It was actually a bit difficult to find a frame to build up on that was gonna be big enough. Lots of really great frames out there around 56/57cm. . So

I bought some new SLX decals for it of eBay. That Australian chap - Cyclemodo or some such -good seller and all that but not blown away by the product itself. They're ok, but they're copies which'll never be as good as the real thing. Don't s'pose anyone has a line on getting original Columbus decals?!

• I bought some 531 stickers and some old skool Mavic MA2 stickers off him. I preferred the 531 stickers to the original waterslide transfers.
  • They'll maybe look better on the frame. You can sort of see, when you look at them close up, the stepped character of the letters cause they've been done by digital printing rather then lithograph. But you need to be looking at them quite closely so it's not a big deal really.

Still need to get;

BB
    Headset
    Cranks
    Wheels
    Seatpost

Recommendations appreciated!
  • Now the proud owner of a Hetchins "Magnum Bonum" with original (buggerd) campag head set, bottom bracket, seat post, and brooks saddle.
    Will be restored to original glory when i find my pot of gold.
  • That is class. Where did you get it?
  • That really is class.
    How much did you get it for?
  • Love the receipt.
  • tim you might need to get someone to look at that toptube rust , looks pretty epic!

• Aye It's generally going to need some TLC. Looking forward too it though! I got it for a good price, a very good price. A friends dad wanted it to go to a home where he new some one would be willing to spend some time on it. Very excited to get this going! Now all i need is money!
  • That's gonna be an epic project but worth it to recreate something special.